Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #1 
Shadyr

The right suckerfish?

I got a 36G bowfront for Christmas, and it's currently housing my fledgeling sorority, some tetras, and a few catsfish. My originaly purchased suckerfish (I don't know what kind, he was about 7 inches long and as skinny as a pencil...at the thickest part) didn't make it through the round of ich medication (Thanks tetras!). Everyone really liked him though, so I went looking for another once the tank was all re-settled and cleared. Did not find one, but the store *did* have some absolutely gorgeous longfin bristlenose plecos. The fish manager said they only grow to be about 6-9 inches long, unlike the regular plecos which I know grow to be fishzillas.

Is he correct on this? Would a bristlenose be good in my 36?
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 
blu the betta

yep.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #3 
Shadyr

*hopes they still have some today* They were fun to watch - they seemed to all take great pleasure in swishing their extra big tails.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Yay! I've been scared to get plecos after hearing horror stories about them turning into carnivores, but if I remember correctly brittle nose ones don't do that!
They are adorable too! I'm going to stick with oto's for now though!

I hope you can find one!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #5 
Shadyr

They did still have some, so my 36G is now home to a longfin bristlenose pleco! (S)he (is there any way to tell?) is very good at hiding, and while not hiding is very good at tail-swishing. And quickly found the little spots of algae that were starting to show up on the back wall of the tank.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

The males will have more and longer bristles. There are other things to look for but I'll dont now what they are.

Not all plecos grow huge and not all eat algae. Bristlenoses stay fairly small, I think 5 or so inches is the max and they are supposed to be awsome at eatting algae.

I have 2 clown plecos, which max out at about 3 inches and I NEVER see them. Ever. I see their poop and I see sand being being kicked up, but very seldom them. Maybe a tail if I am lucky.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #7 
Silverfang

And they NEED driftwood. When they are young it's pretty hard to tell, but when mature there is a HUGE difference. Saw a fully grown male albino in the LFS one day and literally jumped it shocked me.

Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #8 
Shadyr

Yes, I had read about them needing a bit of driftwood to gnaw on. I have two options - I have a nice piece of driftwood I found on our local lake beach...would something like that work? Or too many unknowns? I could also search my local stores to find a piece of mopani this weekend for him/her. This must be a young one, no bristles yet. Are plecos generally nocturnal? I can never find him when the tank "daylights" are on, but once it switches over to the moonlights, he shows up out in the open.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #9 
Fenghuang

Size and behavior depend on what kind of pleco. There are many many different species. The plecos often sold as "common" plecos grow up to prey on smaller fish. They may be okay as juveniles, but could be aggressive as adults. Panaque (the royal plecos) need a regular supply of wood and fresh vegetables, otherwise they may become malnourished.

Bristlenoses require wood in their diet for digestion and to hide in. They get stressed out if they don't have a place to retreat to. They are not very demanding nor very aggressive. Bristlenoses aren't just one species but many species; on average, their maximum size is around 5 or 6 inches. Bristlenoses are omnivores, so you can feed him sinking pellets, algae wafers, and vegetables and fruit. All plecos are nocturnal, so don't expect to see much activity in the daytime. Feed your pleco at night, so food isn't just sitting around. Hope that helps. =)

Last edited by Fenghuang; 01-23-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #10 
Silverfang

Very well describing a BN's habits. Mine is a coward unless I have fresh blanched zucchini clipped in the tank. That will always lure (I think) her out. She always pounces on shrimp pellets when I try to feed the corries. And 99% of the time she hides in or under or somewhere on the driftwood.

This is my girl. Caught her after lights out. She's very shy, and slightly plump when you see her attached to the glass.

Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote