Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 
Wolfboy51

Questions about cycling

Hi everyone :)
i just have a few questions about cycling my 13gal tank since I've never cycled before. So here they are:
1. If i use the cartridge of my old filter as a "seed" will it make cycling the tank faster or easier?
2. is it necessary to have live plants when cycling your tank?
3. how long does it take to cycle and if it is done successfully, how often should you change the water? (I will be keeping 2 male and 3 female guppies in it, btw how are bettas with guppies? anyone had any experience?)
4. lastly, if i use the planted tank cycle method how many plants do you recommend i have? (preferably easy to look after plants)
Thanks! All information is greatly appreciated
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfboy51 View Post
Hi everyone :)
i just have a few questions about cycling my 13gal tank since I've never cycled before. So here they are:
1. If i use the cartridge of my old filter as a "seed" will it make cycling the tank faster or easier?
YES, if the 1st tank is well established your newer tank should be pretty much cycled BUT make sure to do water tests for a week or so with a liquid water test kit to make sure. You will need to provide an ammonia source (fish or another source) to keep the current BB alive. If the exisitng tank only has a little BB then you will need to build it up more but should still be ahead of the cycling game.
2. is it necessary to have live plants when cycling your tank? No, live plants are a choice, some people never add real plants.
3. how long does it take to cycle and if it is done successfully, how often should you change the water? (I will be keeping 2 male and 3 female guppies in it, btw how are bettas with guppies? anyone had any experience?) Depends, are you going to do a fish IN cycle or fish LESS? Fish LESS can take less time as you don't have to worry as much about the water parameters & can have the ammonia at a higher level. A fish IN cycle must be closely monitored & much more frequent water changes may be needed, test water daily, do a water change if ammonia or nitrites are >.25. Either method of cycling CAN take 8 wks, give or take some time.
4. lastly, if i use the planted tank cycle method how many plants do you recommend i have? (preferably easy to look after plants) Do you mean a silent cycle in which you allow the plants to decay creating ammonia or are you asking about simply planting a tank during the cycle? That is personal preference.
Thanks! All information is greatly appreciated
. . .
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #3 
Wolfboy51

Thanks for the quick response :) i want to do the fishless cycle with pure ammonia or with fishfood/shrimp, when i asked about planting the tank i meant allowing the plants to absorbe the ammonia.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

You can add as many plants as you want. They won't be hurt & can actually help.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #5 
Wolfboy51

thanks :) ill probably buy quite a few once i get the money.