Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #1 
CooperS

Question Looking for 2.5 Gallon Tank

Hi,

I'm upgrading my betta tank to a 2.5 gallon one and I'm trying to find the best one. I'm thinking about the Aqueon Aquarium Mini-Bowl 2.5. Can anyone recommend that one? Do you know if the filter is too strong/loud? I can always just not use it if it is and do manual water changes more often. Oh, and I know that one is for two bettas but I obviously would only be putting one in a 2.5. If you don't have that one, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks

Last edited by CooperS; 01-24-2013 at 11:35 AM.
CooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #2 
MistersMom

The 1 with a link, i have 1 and love it.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 
MistersMom

but i got mine used, so i had to buy the filter. its a whispers 1-3 gallon air pump gilter. but be careful about thelight in the tank, it grows green algea.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #4 
mld02004

I have the mini-bow, but don't bother with the filter and do frequent water changes.

The light is pretty decent, for an incandesant.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #5 
Otterfun

2.5BT is one of the better ones IMO because it is more spacious and with lights and filter package.

However:
1. You may want to replace it with a Aqueon Day/Blue Light if you have plants. It is like a Flourescent tube light. So yes, you can have plants in this 2.5 BT. Otherwise the light that came with it will raise the temperature by 3F, and it might be a problem when you turn it off at night.
2. Muffle the filter if you are using it.
3. Check the acrylic tank, especially the circular seam spot at the bottom of the tank for cracks from manufacturing defects.
4. also, the Small filter is about $5 for 3/box on Amazon (Prime members has free shipping).

Oh, I upgraded from this tank to my 5.5g.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #6 
CooperS

Thanks for the feedback :) Since I won't even be using the filter I am just going to buy a plain glass tank and make a mesh top with room for a heater. There shouldn't be a problem with having metal above the water, right? Sorry, I am just paranoid >.<

Last edited by CooperS; 01-24-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #7 
CooperS

Also, another question, where do you guys keep your water for water changes? I usually just use plastic water bottles to hold the water but since I am going to need bigger containers I was thinking of buying gallon water containers at the store and filling them with water.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #8 
Fishybitty

If you have a Petsmart around CooperS, they have that tank on sale for $29.99
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #9 
mushumouse

i use the glass vessel i used to keep my fish in, since i am usually doing 50% changes rather than 100. hmm, i think it would be OK to use those kind of water jugs that look like milk jugs, if that's what you're talking about? check the bottom of the container, it should say it's made of #2 (inside the recycling symbol) HDPE. i wouldn't use anything labeled #1 or made out of PET(E) or PVC etc. now that i think about it, if you have any oberweiss ice cream shops near you, they sell their milk in nice glass gallon jugs, which i think you can keep if you pay their deposit. those would be pretty sweet and last a long while!
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperS View Post
Also, another question, where do you guys keep your water for water changes? I usually just use plastic water bottles to hold the water but since I am going to need bigger containers I was thinking of buying gallon water containers at the store and filling them with water.
i kept my 1g bottle, fill it with tap water, adjust hot and cold to match tank temp. of 78F using a thermometer, add Prime or Stress Coat+, shake, wait 5 mins, pour into tank.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote