Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #1 
SinX7

Cleaning algae

Having some algae issue with my tank. Changed 80% of the water, and changed out all my filter, and I still notice some green/brown algae looking stuff on my ornaments and rocks.

I have a Ghost shrimp in the tank (Just 1) and it doesn't seem to be doing the job. Can I use the Algaefix or anything like that? Got a mixture of fake and live plants.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #2 
aemaki09

ghost shrimp dont primarily eat algea, they are scavengers. If you want a shrimp that does primarily eat algea, try amano.

With the shrimp (and other inverts and scale-less shrimp) algea removing chemicals are not able to be used, or atleast every one that I have looked into getting, and if I remember correctly, I dont believe they are okay with plants either (but the plant part could have easily been with some medication)

I would recommend getting an algea magnet (found at walmart for cheap) or a couple snails. Unless you want to remove the shrimp into somewhere else till you have done enough water changes to get the algea remover out of your water.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 
SinX7

Here's a picture.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ir3uiw.jpg
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #4 
aemaki09

What size is your tank?
I would go get an algea scrubber for the walls, and pull out and scrub the decorations and plants.

You could get amano shrimp. All they eat is algea so that'd help
If your tank is a decent size you could probably add a snail to help -mystery snails cant breed without a partner, nerites need brackish water-, and if its 10+gallons you could add a couple oto's
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 
Myates

Brown algae is common in new(er) tanks.. wouldn't try to use anything to remove it other than cleaning it by hand in hot water.

Unfortunately, the brown algae will come back over and over again - nothing you do will remove it completely until it runs its course.. it's not affected by the amount of light being used, not affected on how much water you change, nor the filter.. it's just something that happens while tanks establish themselves. It can take a few weeks+ for it to work itself out and goes away.

Do your regular water changes and each change remove the items with the algae on it and clean it off if you wish.. and use an aquarium sponge/scraper to remove any on the sides of the tank.

Not pretty to look at, but it's natural. Only way I had been able to get away with not having it in new set ups is by having a TON of live plants.. other tanks I have without live plants had gotten the brown algae that lasted a month or so before it went over to the nice, healthy green algae.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #6 
SinX7

@aemaki09 - I have a 10 gallon tank, tank specs are in my sig :p

@Myates - Well that is kind of good and bad to hear lol. I thought I did something wrong. I guess I'll just let it do its thing and go back to my regular 25% weekly water change.

Thanks everyone! :D