Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 
n9qiy

Unhappy sick betta has ich and body turning white

I am treating my fish for Ich. I am treating it with Cupramine that I started on the 16th. I am now seeing Gunny's body turning white and he is not moving around much, he will not eat or even flare when I put a mirror up. I have the water temp at 83, the ammo is .25 ppm, nitrate and nitrite are 0, and by the way he is breathing very hard and rapid. then what should I do, or better yet what can I do?

Bruce and Gunny
n9qiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

To treat Ich all you really need to do is raise the temp to 86F & do frequent water changes with a good vacuuming. Leaving the temp up for at least a week after the last spot is seen. I'm not familiar with the med you're using but it could be he's not handling it well. Personally I would stop the meds but someone else may be able to better advise on it. Because you have ammonia I would do at least a 50% water change to bring it down to 0.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #3 
eatmice2010

You should fill out this it may help: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #4 
sunlight

Usually you can treat ich with aquarium salt and water temp over 84-86 *. Usually it better to do 100% water changes with daily but since you have ammonia i am not sure . At least daily 50% water changes with gravel vacuuming until someone will come along and give you more advice. How much water you usually changing?
Which water conditioner are you using. Prime is the best to use when you have ammonia in the water. Also if you have a chance to do to the pet store buy aquarium salt.

If it ich you need to wash in the hot water all equipment that you are using for him after each use (a net,siphon...etc) and completely dry it out. It will kill any parasites.
Water temp will spread up the life cycle and let them fall faster so you can remove them manually.
Sorry didn't see last post it took me long time to write since i have problem with my computer:) Yes the sticky will help
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #5 
n9qiy

Housing
What size is your tank? 6.6g
What temperature is your tank?78
Does your tank have a filter? power
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 neon tetras, and a dwarf Cory cat

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pelletts
How often do you feed your betta fish? once

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2 weels
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white spots and the body is now changing color to a white, very sluggish
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very lethargic, will not eat gasping for air in the water.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago on the 16th of Jan.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? started with Cupramine, and a water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a year

Last edited by n9qiy; 01-22-2013 at 06:51 AM.
n9qiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9qiy View Post
Housing
What size is your tank? 6.6g
What temperature is your tank?78
Does your tank have a filter? power
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 neon tetras, and a dwarf Cory cat - Too much for a 6.6 tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pelletts
How often do you feed your betta fish? once

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2 weels - Should be 50% at least once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25ppm - This needs to be 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white spots and the body is now changing color to a white, very sluggish -How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very lethargic, will not eat gasping for air in the water.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago on the 16th of Jan.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? started with Cupramine, and a water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a year
Do the white spots look like grains of salt? Color fading is often signs of stress. I would say because of his tank mates & water quality & possibly the meds you are treating with. I would remove the tank mates or move your Betta to his own tank. A 6.6g is really not big enough for the stock you have. When testing the water are you using strips or a liquid test kit? Strips are inaccurate so a liquid test kit would be much better.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #7 
ANHEL123

If it ich all your tank contaminated. Just like shellieca said 6.6 gall kind of not enough for all that fish you have. And for 6.6 gall with even one betta you would need weekly water changes.

I would separate your betta and try aquarium salt as soon as you can. And continue to do 50% daily water changes for your other fish to ensure you get rid of the ich. Make sure to wash and dry any changing equipment which will kill ich.

For betta, go buy aquarium salt. While you don't have it keep doing 100% water changes daily. Can you find clean container you can put him in? If you can't maintain the temperature 84* for your betta you can put his container in 6.6 gall and make it float there. Stick the container to the wall of the tank so it don't sink. And cover container with a lid so he don't jump out. Don't forget to make a hole in the lid for the air. Or if you have hospital tank where you can keep the temp up it would help.
Pre mix 3tsp/gall of the aquarium salt . Pre mix it and shake it make sure it dissolved. It better to use one gall jug for the right dosage. You will need to do daily 100% water changes.
Also i think that he is in really bad condition and while you don't have salt continue with medications if you didn't finish them.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #8 
BettaGirl228

Get some BettaFix Worked great when my Betta had Ick He's completely healed and healthy.
BettaGirl228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

Bettafix is a huge debate in the betta world - I personally would never use it as there is just too much controversy to ignore...
Bettafix is a watered down formula of Melafix - which has an ingredient that has been known to harm the betta's labyrinth organ. Many believe it should never be used (both Bettafix and Melafix) on a fish that uses the labyrinth organ.. there have been many cases of bettas becoming ill or even passing when exposed to the medication
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

I would really try aquarium salt . 3TSP/GALL. Aq salt will dehydrate the parasites. And like said already, temp raised will help to speed parasites life cycle so they can fall faster. Daily 100% water changes