Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #11 
ohhaiitslily

Last edited by ohhaiitslily; 01-21-2013 at 09:58 PM.
ohhaiitslily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #12 
ohhaiitslily

Really, I know it sounds pretty bad, but I don't think I really need one for 5+ years, and I am not really sure if taking one back is an option either.
I can't get another because of financial, time, and space restraints.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #13 
shellieca

It depends on why she's not eating & staying low. If she's being bullied or dominated by the other then leaving her where she is only going to get worse for her.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #14 
ohhaiitslily

Would it hurt to wait a couple more days to see if it improves? And if it doesn't, then I'll do something about it.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian

OMG 2 fish in a 1 gallon :O 1 gallon isn't fit for ONE fish. Min is 2.5 gallons per betta fish.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #16 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhaiitslily View Post
Really, I know it sounds pretty bad, but I don't think I really need one for 5+ years, and I am not really sure if taking one back is an option either.
I can't get another because of financial, time, and space restraints.
Well if you're not in it for the long haul I'd return everything. We're giving you options/suggestions based on our experiences; the choice in the end is of course yours. If you are comfortable with them not being happy & healthy then by all means keep them as they are.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian

+1

If you only want them as decorations or just things you can let die then take them back and get cool fake fish or something. Living animals must be treated with respect. I mean would you get a cat and lock it in a bathroom and just let it die of starvation or illness because you don't want to care for it? It's the same with fish, you buy them and they become your responsibility. You need to give them everything they need even if it means you have to go without heat in your house.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #18 
ohhaiitslily

Okay, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it more like, I don't expect to have them live more than 5 years. I don't have the money or space to get an extra tank. I want to keep them alive as long as possible seeing as that's what makes me happy right now. I went back to the pet store 3 times yesterday since I didn't have everything they needed, and that was still almost too much.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhaiitslily View Post
Would it hurt to wait a couple more days to see if it improves? And if it doesn't, then I'll do something about it.
This is a bad idea. One could severely injure or kill the other. Or, both could be injured or killed during a fight.... Plus, ammonia will build up to toxic levels very quickly.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

Keeping fish isn't a cheap hobby, as said you can put the second girl in something like a larger Tupperware or even a pail so long as you can heat it it won't matter. Point is keeping them together in a 1 gallon then don't expect them to make it to even a year and likely suffer along the way from ammonia poisoning, stress, and possibly injure or kill one another. It's like keeping two pitbulls who were trained to fight in a closet. When one kills the other don't run screaming like you are shocked because of course that's what was going to happen.

Tags
lethargic, not moving, not swimming, response to stimulus, two bettas