Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #21 

I read they can be called golden snails or mystery snails and come in a variety of colors. This is the one I got.
Attached Images

319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #22 

I grabbed the wrong pic. I had to send the other to prove to my boyfriend that Turbo was NOT going to reproduce by himself. Haha
Attached Images

319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #23 
Hollthulhu

Oh awesome! Yeah that is the ones from the pet store I saw, and they had 3 colors.. golden, blue and black!! Now I'm double excited to get them.
Hollthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #24 
InfiniteGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Just as an fyi, the Mondo grass is not an aquatic plant. It will probably start rotting in a few days/weeks if left submersed.

well....crud. I will check my reciept and the bag and make sure that is what they sold me. If I post a pic later can you confirm that is what I purchased? if so then I will gladly take it back.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #25 
InfiniteGlory

after google and even petsmart own site I am going to take the mondo grass back tomorrow and pick up the water wisteria instead. Thanks everyone for catching that before it got bad.

the more I think about the more I may put in a snail or two just for fun.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #26 
Kithy

<3 Mystery snails. So much fun to watch.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #27 
InfiniteGlory

well, I placed a snail in the QT and Glory II thought it was food and ate it right away. it was no bigger than his pellets so I guess he was hungry I have been watching for an hour and he seems fine. I will see how he is in the morning.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #28 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Wow, really? Are they the only ones that aren't hermaphroditic? That's the first I've heard of it but that's really cool to know!
Nope - Japanese Trapdoor snails are either male or female AND are live bearing snails - the female will give birth to one live snail for about 2 weeks straight. You can easily tell the gender because one has two long antenna and the other has one short and one long. I forgoet which is which but I thin the male has the long and short antenea. They are not normally sold in petsmart/petco but some online sellers have them. I took mine from a lake this summer.

On the right is the apple snail, big moss ball on the left - adult trapdoor snail.
NOTE: Fish on the right is not dead. Some people asked in the past if she was. and the green one turned into a male.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-22-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #29 
InfiniteGlory

Here are the hitchhikers

Here is a picture of the mondo grass that is going back

I think I have enough plants for now anyway.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #30 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollthulhu View Post
Oh awesome! Yeah that is the ones from the pet store I saw, and they had 3 colors.. golden, blue and black!! Now I'm double excited to get them.
Do it get one, I am SOOO happy with my boy omg he is so funny. He will climb to teh top of the tank and I always think he's going to do something important by how fast he moves but then he lets go of the glass and floats down to the other side of the tank xD. Not only does it once but today he did it FIVE times in a row. I just laughed so hard, they are such goofs. I'm certainly setting up two big tanks someday when I get into breeding, the girls tank and the boys tank just for snails.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote