Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 
ArsRose

Betta Losing Color!

Hello! I'm hoping maybe someone can help me solve this dilemma...

My betta Gulliver lives in a 2 gal filtered heated tank, I do 50% water changes every week. About a month ago I started adding aquarium salt to the tank (1/2 tsp per gal) and having run out of food, started using something different. By accident I got flake food instead of the pellet food I had been feeding him. It took him a couple days to get used to the flakes but now he seems to love them!

Just recently I had to move the tank to a different room in the house, (maybe 2-3 days ago. Since then his color has gone from a beautiful dark blue to a splochy grey color. I've done a lot of reading about losing color and think it could be one of three things,
1) he is stressed from the move. Though he has been through tougher moves than this one so it seems unlikely.
2) he has some sort of bacterial infection. Besides the color change he is acting perfectly normal.
3) he's becoming an old man and losing color because of age, but I've only had him a little under a year...
Attached (I think) are before and after photos..
Name:  IMG_1075.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  28.9 KB
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  35.6 KB

Which is most likely? Am I missing something? Should I be really worried or will time fix this? Is there something I can do?
ArsRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 
waterdog

My guess would be stress from the move and change in diet. One factor alone could cause this, but when you have multiple changes it really rocks their world. Keep him warm, try to get his pellets back, and shorten the amount of daylight hours.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #3 
callistra

Are you using an in tank thermometer to monitor temperature? Has it changed from one room to the other? Has on an interior wall? Has he moved closer to any exterior doors or windows? Is he near any vents?

More info would help: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also flake food can muck up the water really fast. You might have an an increase in ammonia. I would go ahead and do a 50% water change with gravel siphon and see how he does

He's definitely very stressed.

Last edited by callistra; 01-22-2013 at 11:32 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Callistra I think that may be the wrong link, lol.

My blue VT has started to look like that, and has for awhile (transparent ish with vertical stripes, but not as bad as yours) and I still can't figure out exactly what is going on. He had internal parasites, which he has no longer, but he still looks like this and I haven't changed anything for over a month :(
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #5 
callistra

fixed.. sorry.. that's what I get for trying to reply to so many in one night.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsRose View Post
About a month ago I started adding aquarium salt to the tank (1/2 tsp per gal)....
Is there a reason you're adding this?

Bettas are sensitive to Aquarium salt. It's not needed, unless you're:
a) treating a specific issue (such as fin rot). And even then, it's not recommended to use it for more than 10 days.
b) using a type of water that contains no natural salt (such as distilled water).

Regular tap water already contains enough dissolved salts that you don't need to add any extra aquarium salt.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #7 
ArsRose

I checked the temp of the water, it was at 74 so I bumped the heater up this morning so it can slowly get back to a more betta comfortable temperature. I also switched back to pellet food this morning.

I was under the impression that aquarium salt was good for respiration and disease prevention, though I can't say exactly where I read that. If this is not be case, and it seems it isn't I'll stop putting it in consistently and only use it when necessary.

The tank is a two gal it has an undergravel filter with an airstone. I have the air stone bubbling as little as possible since I know Betta's don't like current. I checked the temp this morning it was low (74) I have since turned the heater up a tiny bit. The new room the tank is in may bit a little colder than the old room as it is on a different side of the house. Besides Gulliver turning grey there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong. His behavior has not changed. Besides doing what I have said above I have not treated him for anything else. I do plan on doing a water change tonight when I get back from work.

Does that help? Hopefully his color will come back soon!
ArsRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #8 
waterdog

Turning up the heat will definately help. Remember, bettas are tropical fish and it gets hot in the tropics. Temps between 77-81 seem to be optimal.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

I'd adjust the heat and remove the salt ASAP. That will cause negative affects if used for longer than 2 weeks... It's very likely that it is due to the salt. Otherwise, is there any water movement from the bubbler? Does it seems to bother him even slightly? Do you have some tall plants or resting places? What decor do you have? What is your light schedule?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #10 
callistra

You need to up your water changes to twice weekly - 50% and 100% or else invest in a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and test your water daily through the next week or two to see your levels. If you are seeing any ammonia or nitrites then your tank is not cycled. I don't think you can cycle a 2g with an undergravel filter.