Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Do not use the pea method... It is not digestive, therefore it "pushes" out the waste blockage, but in turn sometimes it can turn dangerous and become the blockage itself. Instead, try frozen or live daphnia - a natural laxative. O use 100% Epsom salt, fragrance free 1-3 teaspoons per gallon.

For the epsom salt, preferably try to quarantine him as it will make it easier on you to monitor him - and dose properly. You could even float him in the main tank for now. PRE dissolve epsom salt, and add in. You'll want to gradually increase the amount of epsom used.... A daily water change is needed, then re-add what you took out. Once you see he no longer has swim bladder continue the doses until 3-5 days after to avoid relapse. For example: He shows improvement in the first three days, continue for a full week.

Are the brine shrimp and blood worms freeze dried? I avoid feeding freeze dried because it is one of the top causes of SBD, right next to low quality flakes and over-feeding. If you can, stick to frozen foods :p Easy to find in any store that sells reptiles or fish... Plus a lot better for them than freeze dried. Freeze dried is more of a treat (which I replaced this treat with live foods).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #12 
jls0459

At this point, I'm just confused. He is no longer bloated, but is still lethargic and laying on his side. I was able to get the water temp up to 79 degrees and the pH down to about 7.2, but even with the changes, he isn't acting better. I'm really starting to get concerned.
jls0459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Is he gasping? Gills red or inflamed?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #14 
jls0459

Today seems to be going a lot better! Sean was swimming around more and still isn't bloated. I just got home and checked on him and he is in his gazebo which is great because he's mid tank and not on his side! Hopefully he continues to improve. Thank you guys so much for the help! I really do appreciate it.
jls0459 is offline   Reply With Quote