Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #11 
Arch

Last edited by Arch; 01-25-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: delete message
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #12 
Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
The quickest thing you can do for him is change his water. Make sure its about 79-80F (nice and warm) and make sure you keep his water cleaned.. If he's in that .5 cell you should change the water completely every 2 days.

Instead, I am doing 100% water changes everyday cos I'm a little worried. However, I only replace new IAL after 2x water changes, which means every 2 days. Would that be effective? The water is not completely brown though
I also read that frequent water changes is no good for Betta ><

Btw, should I add some aquarium salt to kill the bacteria and germs which is causing the fit rot? I heard is bad...ugh.. I'm left with only clean water alternative for now...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #13 
Laki

Frequent water changes is not always a god thing, no, as sterile water allows the fish no time to build resistance to certain bacteria. However, your using a tank that is much too small for the one fish to live long term, thereby, the ammonia alone requires you to change water every two days, not every day because the water is too clean and stressful.
The IAL is something you can use for a month or so (each leaf lasts a long time). The longer it sits in the water the more helpful it is. SO, since you are doing such frequent changes you want to set up a bowl of IAL tinted water. To do this, get a bowl or bucket or something, condition it normally and toss in 3-4 leaves. Within a few hours it will be tanned pretty heavily. Use this tanned water as your water for when you change it. The tannins built up in it will help him get better. The darker the water, the better.

aq. salt can be used, however, it might not be necessary at this point. Since bettas are freshwater fish the aq salt should be preserved and used for more immediate concerns. If you want to use it because you are worried about his red tail, only mix 1tsp of aquarium salt to each gallon (16 US cups) of water and mix well. To make it easier for yourself, you can add the salt to the IAL water. This should be only used for 10 days.
(*IAL can and should be used at all times, aq salt should only be used for a max of 10 days)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #14 
Arch

Ok noted. Thank you for your advice Laki. I will skip the salt thingy for now and focused on IALs tinted water and water change every 2 days. Here's an image of the IALs I prepared with conditioned water. Will pour in the dark tannin water into his tank tml.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #15 
Laki

That's going to make an awesome IAL concoction! lol
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #16 
Arch

Here's a picture of him now. I realize the red patterns on his tail is beginning to lessen. Good sign. Just hope he heals up pretty quick.

I do realize that some of my IALs release a type of substance which stays on the surface of the water. Looks like oil to me. >< Does anyone experienced this before?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #17 
Laki

He looks very comfortable in that water :) Nice an dark.

I don't know. Where did you get your IAL and did you rinse it well before use? I find when I rinse new leaves the water acts as a repellent for the first 2 days until it sinks. The oil on the water could also be from any food you have fed him that you did not notice in his regular tank due to surface agitation?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

1l is way to small. He needs a gallon minimum. What is the brand of food? And he needs a heater. Bettas are tropical fish. What exactly is room temperature?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #19 
Laki

My understanding is that this is hospital tank- very temporary. We cleared this on the first page. :)

If the room gets cold, you can float that cup in his regular heated tank.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #20 
Arch

Hi Laki,

Rinse? Ermm, I just pick them at the bottom of the tree and wash them with normal tap water. Shake them a little thn put it into the tank. Is this the correct procedure or is there a better way?

I'm feeding him "Sanyu Betta Gold" pellets for the time being. He eats them instantly most of the time and there are no leftovers in the tank. That I can assure you. On normal regular water without IAL, there is no "substance" on it. Happens on certain IALs which I used only. Weird :S

Tags
finrot fin rot, ial