Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 
Laki

Shrimp basics

Okay. I set up my 2.5 and is running it now for my shrimp (which I am getting this week)

It has regular gravel (It was on for a great price at a store closeout) and a castle decoration, which they can go in if they're scared. It is running on this filter: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small...enn-plax-16312

I turned down the filter pressure to pretty low, will I need to wrap it in pantyhose for the possible babies?

I am floating a piece of cuttlebone in it, will that be enough for calcium? Or should I weigh it down for them to eat?

Can shrimp swim up and latch on to plants they want to graze? I have floating salvinia that I know has a lot of goodies for them in its roots.

What else is in there: my big and little moss balls (more like moss lumps)

What else do I need? I have sinking algae wafers and sinking veggie wafers.

Indian Almond Leaves?? They love those, don't they?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #2 
Silverfang

You do need a pre filter sponge or some sort of cover on the intake. Even adults will get sucked into a HOB. Shrimplets are about 2mm in size.

The babies have no trouble finding Salvinia, at least mine don't.

Never used cuttlebone. Live plants always good!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #3 
Laki

It's not HOB filter, take a look at the link. I think I will wrap it either way but I never seen a filter like this before. It runs great so far. Has a petco rating of like 4/5

Thanks!! I was hoping you would find this thread. Of course, if we ever get the chance we could swap RCS to introduce new genes. I need to make sure I can keep them alive though -_-
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #4 
Silverfang

Double dose with prime!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #5 
Laki

I don't have prime. :/
Will Nutrafin Aqua Plus be the same thing? It takes out metals and such.
http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Waterca...plements/A7927
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #6 
Laki

OK I got the shrimp!

They are floating in the bag they came in from the guy I bought them from. I wanted to see if they were hungry and now they are all feasting on an algae wafer. I take this as a good sign. Also, since there was no shipping involved and they came from one tank to mine they are all bright red, except the babies, which I also take a good sign!

I have 2 IAL in the water, once is softened from the betta tank and the other one is new. I was reading about high pH and freaked out so I thought the IAL would lower that.

I have no testing equipment so I hope the water is fine.

For the filter I soaked a string of thread and dangled it around the filter, it did not stick - good? Or should I still add pantyhose to the filter?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #7 
emeraldmaster

I am no expert, but just to be safe, I would aply the panty hose.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #8 
Laki

Thanks emerald, I will add it today. There's cream on my hands now because I *was* getting ready fro school before I decided to make better use of my time at home watching my shrimp and reading out loud to myself -_-"
Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #9 
MSG

Make sure you don't overfeed your shrimp.

They don't eat much & since you have less than 20, they won't require much other than the bio-film around the surface of the tank.

I would not recommend against buying any more Penn Plax type equipment. What you're using for filtration is a very OLD (20+ years) version of a sponge filter. I've seen their products before & I always dislike the quality of everything they create for the aquarium.

Their newer PPlax Blue colored HOB filters look decent though but I wouldn't buy it due to the amount of products I've thrown away from that company.

Honestly you would have been better off making your own DIY sponge filter. Hope you're not using the built in carbon/gravel type media that's included.

If you have time, take measurements of the temperature & the water parameters.

Just remember the more LIVE plants you have, the better off your shrimps will be & more hiding places for the fry.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #10 
Laki

Thanks MSG! I realised the filter is an ancient model from what people use nowadays. But it was cheap and runs so quietly!
I figured for the 20$ I spent on it I get a new pump, adjustable valve, holder and yes there is carbon and cotton in the filter. If I made my own I would have had to buy all those things separately and while I was out I had no idea what I was doing. this was an all-in-one thing and so far I am happy with it and Petco has good reviews for it.

I don't have anything to measure my water with. Perhaps I'll have it tested next time I go to the store. I honestly cannot drop 20$+ on liquid testers right now. Which I know sounds irrisponsible of me. Perhaps that's something I can start saving for. (well, not saving for since I don't work.. I am selling a Nintendo game. I can put the money towards)

The temp has been steady 74-76F since I set it up.

And... Live plants. I will add more! :D