Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #1 
loveiszen

Why is My Water so Cloudy?

Last night I did a 50% water change/gravel siphon using tap water. Added water conditioner (Aqua Safe), Aquarium Salt (2tblspns), Stress Zyme (1tspn), and Stress Coat (2tspns). My fish have fin rot and I'm nursing them back to health. I checked my water chemistry and everything is perfect, the temperature is a warm 82 degrees, but the tank is cloudy. It was cloudy before I did the water change but I thought the new water and drops would help. :/ What could be causing this cloudyness? It's a 10 gallon tank with a filter divided for 4 Betta's.
loveiszen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveiszen View Post
Last night I did a 50% water change/gravel siphon using tap water. Added water conditioner (Aqua Safe), Aquarium Salt (2tblspns), Stress Zyme (1tspn), and Stress Coat (2tspns). My fish have fin rot and I'm nursing them back to health. I checked my water chemistry and everything is perfect, the temperature is a warm 82 degrees, but the tank is cloudy. It was cloudy before I did the water change but I thought the new water and drops would help. :/ What could be causing this cloudyness? It's a 10 gallon tank with a filter divided for 4 Betta's.
How long has the tank been set up? What is your water changed schedule, % of water changed? Do you gravel vac really well? Personally I don't add anything but Prime to my water. Fin rot in most cases can be treated simply by keeping the water clean, no salt needed. How long have you been adding salt? When you say water chemistry is perfect, what exactly are the readings?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #3 
loveiszen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
How long has the tank been set up? What is your water changed schedule, % of water changed? Do you gravel vac really well? Personally I don't add anything but Prime to my water. Fin rot in most cases can be treated simply by keeping the water clean, no salt needed. How long have you been adding salt? When you say water chemistry is perfect, what exactly are the readings?
PH is 7.2
Ammonia is 0
Nitrate is 0
Nitrite is 0

I'm going to be doing 50% changes daily this week with the addition of just salt and water conditioner. The fin rot was getting worse and I was told adding salt will help it.

I gravel vac just the common areas really. Don't want to freak them out too much.

This tank is only 1 week and a couple days old.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Awww, then the cloudy water is a new tank bacteria bloom most likely. It happens & will typically clear up within a week, sometimes 2 but usually less. Nothing to worry about. Yes, salt can help, IME clean warm conditioned water is the main thing. Don't use the salt for more than 10 days per other Betta keepers.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #5 
loveiszen

Got it.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #6 
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Awww, then the cloudy water is a new tank bacteria bloom most likely. It happens & will typically clear up within a week, sometimes 2 but usually less. Nothing to worry about. Yes, salt can help, IME clean warm conditioned water is the main thing. Don't use the, and the salt for more than 10 days per other Betta keepers.
Agreed. So many problems go away just by keeping your water clean.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote