Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #1 
Mal72

Talking True Life: I'm addicted to Bettas

Apparently I'm not the only one or let's face it, we wouldn't be here But seriously, I am going crazy! Everytime I got into a petstore (especially Petco because they have better Bettas), I come out with a fish. It's bad. Currently I have four fish--one of them is an a (food safe,military grade, no soap) 5 gallon bucket with a heater, filter and live plant until the substrate in his tank clears. He built a bubble nest, so I assume he is doing fine. I am an adult, but live in close proximity to my parents who are very aware of what is going on and they encourage it. They supplied the 5-gallon bucket above and are constantly wanting to see my fish. I have a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon (little baby girl), and a divided 10 gallon set up in my room--All heated, filtered, NPT, etc. I plan on getting one other fish from a breeder on here in a few months. But there is a part of me that wants a few more fish. Just one or two more. I haven't really lost much money on my Betta project (I usually make purchases off of returns and I do quite a bit of DIY stuff). I was thinking about getting a VT (to replace the one I lost on Friday) and possibly a King because I haven't had once since I was a kid. If I did that I would have a HM, DT, THM, CT, I think the Breeder has a HM, a VT, and a KING--all in my room. I know people have more than that on here, but this is just my bed room. Four of those fish already have homes and are all thriving. Should I get more or just STOP?! I'm not even sure how to stop at this point? I believe that I can take proper care of them, but maybe I should space it out, a bit.

*I get all A's in Law School, do well at work, pay my bills on time, attend church every sunday, take care of my 2 y.o niece (when I'm not working, we have a Mommy and Me dance class every week (long story), take care of my dog, and have free time to spend with my guy or with my friends. I think I juggle the rest of my life fairly well...Just so you don't think I'm a crazed shut in!!!

^That might be the desparation talking, as I am trying to justify my need for more bettas by showing that they have no taken over my life. *twitch twitch*

Last edited by Mal72; 01-22-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #2 
Luimeril

:V try having 11. gonna be 12 once Hiccup comes in the mail. and i'm itching for yet another, but i dare not. i'd have to either half Manhattan's 10 gallon mansion, or stick it in a bowl. :I never. ever. ever.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #3 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
:V try having 11. gonna be 12 once Hiccup comes in the mail. and i'm itching for yet another, but i dare not. i'd have to either half Manhattan's 10 gallon mansion, or stick it in a bowl. :I never. ever. ever.

Wow!!! I agree that I do not want to put one in a bowl. As I said, even the one in the holding is in a 5 gallon/live plant/heated/filtered tank. I have a half gallon bowl that is strictly for water changes only!!!!! 12 is awesome! I would love to have 12 but again, they can only go in my room and I'm running out of space. Hmm...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #4 
Luimeril

most of mine are in my room, but i have two tanks in the living room. i'm not sure how Ma likes having one of my kritter keeps in there, but she hasn't complained about Todd yet. she secretly likes my bettas. xD i saw her baby talking one of them once. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #5 
Shadyr

If it makes you happy and you are a responsible fishy-mom (sounds like you are) then do it. Everyone has hobbies, yah?

With the two new girls I brought home over the weekend for my sorority, I'm up to an even dozen.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #6 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
most of mine are in my room, but i have two tanks in the living room. i'm not sure how Ma likes having one of my kritter keeps in there, but she hasn't complained about Todd yet. she secretly likes my bettas. xD i saw her baby talking one of them once. :B

Haha nice! Yea, my mom will always roll her eyes when she comes over and sees that I have a new one, but then she won't stop admiring them! And again, she and my dad brought over 5 gallon buckets (originally bought from the navy base) to store food and say I could use it for my fish because it had never had anything in it.

Do you have names for all of them?

I have Harley Quinn, DK (Dark Knight), Bruce Wayne (he and DK are in the same tank, I thought it was very zen), Joker, and a snail named Alfred. Clearly I have a bit of a Batman obsession as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #7 
Stone

My name is Stone and I am addicted, I believe thats how the 12 step program starts admitting you have a problem, right now I have 6 tanks with 3 crowntail males 2 viel tail males 2 halfmoon males 1 king halfmoon male and 3 crown tail females.......so 11 fishies....
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #8 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
If it makes you happy and you are a responsible fishy-mom (sounds like you are) then do it. Everyone has hobbies, yah?

With the two new girls I brought home over the weekend for my sorority, I'm up to an even dozen.

You are right! Everyone has hobbies and I do love them. Geez, again, I'd love to have that many! My biggest concern is room! I have a full bedroom suite (Sleigh bed, 2 nightstands, media center, and dresser) made of dark cherry that my daddy bought me before I moved out. And he is concerned that it could ruin the wood--no argument there, it shows everything! My other tanks are on a cheap desk that I have in my room. No harm no foul is something happens to that. It was probably about $40.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #9 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
My name is Stone and I am addicted, I believe thats how the 12 step program starts admitting you have a problem, right now I have 6 tanks with 3 crowntail males 2 viel tail males 2 halfmoon males 1 king halfmoon male and 3 crown tail females.......so 11 fishies....

Good testimony, Stone. I know that was probably not easy. But know that you are around people who are just like you and all they want is to be accepted for who they are: A person who loves Bettas.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #10 
Stone

Yeah I/we are only allowed to buy females at this point in time........
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote