Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

I've used ones from the ground. I just rinsed them off to make sure there was no dirt on them. (And I knew the trees weren't sprayed with any pesticides.)

OFL can verify whether just collecting them from the ground and rinsing them is OK. (I recommend asking her, since she has WAY more experience with this than I do!) And she can also tell you how to add them to the tank, so that you can get the best benefits from them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #12 
madmonahan

Thank you so much! I messaged OFL, I will do an update later tomorrow.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Yes, collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves-as long as they are free of harmful chemicals they are fine to use for the tannin source.

The tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, toughen scales/fins, ease stress, promote microorganism colony and can lower pH over time.

If your Betta is overall acting his normal self and the only change has been color and tattered tail/fins that has been going on for 2 months-IMO/E-it might be a normal pigment change due to genetics and fin damage due to something in his environment and/or the water movement from the filter itself.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #14 
madmonahan

I actually had the filter off for a week to see if he had any change.
I will go out side and pick some up after I eat.

How do you use them? As in, do you just float them in th water??

Edit: all of the leaves are dead, is that okay??

Last edited by madmonahan; 01-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

That is what you want...naturally dried and fallen-you don't want green leaves.

For medication-I like to use a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and added about 20 crushed Oak leaves-more or less. Allow them to steep for at least 30min before use- so they can start releasing the tannins.

You don't want to steep the leaves in water temps greater than 110F-since heat can kill the antibacterial/fungal properties.

The longer they steep-the more tannins released-the darker the water-the more the Betta will like it.

While you can't overdose with tannins-you can shock the fish due to the chemistry changes. It is important that you properly acclimate the Betta to the tannin stained water-as well as use pre-tanned water when you make water changes-especially with an already compromised fish.

This is why I recommend premixing the tannin water to have on hand to use for partial water changes.

Also, when treating-IMO/E-it is best to QT the Betta in a small bare container-This gives you more control and ease of observation.

Then by having your treatment water premixed in a 1gal jug-especially if you are also using either aquarium salt or Epsom salt along with the tannins. The premixed treatment water will give you more control and assist in providing the therapeutic dosage with the partial water changes.
I don't recommend 100% water changes for most treatments due to the stress and its not generally needed, however, there are exceptions.

For a general tonic-you can add 3-4 leaves more or less-whole to the tank itself and remove/replace every week or so. If you use heavy tannins-make sure your replacement water is also tanned to avoid problems related to chemistry.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #16 
madmonahan

Okay thank you! I got 2 leaves because it was freezing outside and it took some time to find 2. :) but I will get some more tomorrow, and use one of my 1 gallon jugs.