Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 
YourBoyCameron

Tank-Mates

So I am returning my snail tonight since it killed my ghost shrimp, I was wondering what new fish I could get for my Betta fish?

I have either a 1-2 Gallon tank
i'm not sure what it is

I'm thinking of getting a single neon tetra, or another ghost shrimp, what would you recommend?
YourBoyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
LuvMyBetta21

In a tank that small I don't think you can put anything else besides your betta. Snails, from my understanding, have a large bio-load so the ammonia levels will really spike in a tank that size. If you want to have tank mates I would try and upgrade to at least a 5g. Tetras are schooling fish. You need a minimum of 5 or 6 (i think) if not your betta could end up killing it. 10g would be the absolute min IMO if you want to have tetras or any other compatible tank mate.
LuvMyBetta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

+1, you can't have any tank mates in those tiny tanks you will just make your fish very sick and likely end up killing them.

It's almost impossible for your snail to have killed your shrimp, what happened is that shrimp die in tanks that are not cycled, even the slightest amount of ammonia will kill them, your shrimp died of ammonia poisoning from the overstocked tank and your snail was eating their dead bodies as snails do.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

1+, If you can, can you post a picture of your tank?
If your going to get another fish then you will need to upgrade to a 6-10g and thats for just adding another fish and maybe a shrimp or snail. If you want to get a school of fish then you will need to get a 20g or more.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 
MistersMom

agree!
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Without knowing the true size of your tank you can't properly stock it. IF it is truly 1-2g as the others have said no tank mates for the Betta, it is too small a volume of water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote