Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #1 
ilikefishyys

Exclamation Someone please help!

I don't know what's been wrong with my fish lately. His color started fading andI tried to feed him the color enhancing food I got and he doesn't like it, hes so picky with food. Now, his color is so faded like you can't even see the blue he used to have. Also, he's stopped eating and hides behind the filter all day or just stays near the top but doesn't move unless i shake or tap the glass. If anyone knows what could be wrong with him or can help in anyway please do I would really appreciate it. I don't want my fish to die!
ilikefishyys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #2 
babystarz

Does his tank have a heater? What is your water change schedule and how much water do you replace each time? And what size is his tank?
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #3 
ilikefishyys

i have a heater and its a5 gallon tank. I do a 100% change every 3 weeks and i have a filter, unfortunately, its been 4 and a half weeks since i changed the water because i went on vacation and things were hectic but I did a 50% change before vacation. I'm planning on doing a 100% change tonight so do you think he will stop acting weird after that?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

He's probably got high ammonia. I would change the water ASAP. You need to be changing the water twice a week with no filter... One 100% and one 50% change. It sounds like a water quality issue. Please change the water and update us if he does not improve.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #5 
callistra

With a fully cycled tank and filter.. a 50% weekly change including using siphon to clean the gravel is needed. Cycling can take up to 2 months and ammonia and nitrite should be monitored with a test kit daily while it's cycling.. more water changes will be needed.

what filter are you using?

I'd say for this point he's suffering from very poor quality water.

I would like more info to make sure nothing is being missed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Last edited by callistra; 01-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #6 
ilikefishyys

i just did a 100% clean and i use a whisper filter...i'm not really sure how to cycle the tank so i usually just do 100% changes 1 every few weeks, after this though i will be sure to clean more often. thank you so much everyone for helping ! i hope he gets better. but when i first put him in the newly cleaned tank he swam right behind the filter and I don't know why. also, does anyone have any suggestions for good food for his color?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 
Nothingness

his color should return once you et on a routine cleaning schedule and he becomes less stressed. Are you using a water conditioner when doing water changes?
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

By betta sleeps behind his whisper filter but he might be trying to get away from the water movement. Do you see a lot of surface movement?

Any by chance, do you have a five gallon kit with an LED light that came with the filter? There is a switch on the back of the whisper filter for the AquaCulture 5 gallon kit to adjust the water flow...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #9 
callistra

How did you acclimate him to the new water? You may have shocked him. Also the flow might be too much for him. Is it baffled and prefiltered?

To do a water change you should use the thermometer (should be a glass one that goes in the water not sticks on the outside) to make the water coming out of the tap to be the exact same temp. You should then fill up jugs/bucket or whatever you do, then add conditioner, mix it up a bit then add it to your tank before it has a chance to cool. I also cup my boys in opaque plastic solo cups while the water is being changed, and then float them in the new water for an hour along with adding a couple tablespoons of the new water into their cup every 10 minutes. After the hour I pour them in letting as little of the new water in as possible. You can train your betta to swim up out of the cup without using much water, over time.

While you are cycling you need to be testing daily for ammonia and nitrites. You should do a change any time either hit as little as .25ppm (meaning no purple and no green). In addition to this a weekly water change of 50% with gravel siphon is needed. The kit should be a drops kit like this one: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI because strips are inaccurate. First you will see an ammonia spike, then a nitrite spike. Ammonia will stick at 0 first then nitrites. After a month or two you will be left with only nitrates that can be removed with a weekly 50% water change but gravel siphon. You need to siphon the gravel and not just change water off the top.

What filter are you using and how are you maintaining it?

Can you share photos or a video?

Food should have the first two or three ingredients as whole fish, not fishmeal or the worst is wheat. I like New Life Spectrum Betta. I feed 5-8 (8 is high 5 is pretty minimum as these are small) spit up into two or three small meals a day with a fast day a week). Omega One betta Buffet pellets and Atison's Pro are other good ones. You could feed 3-4 split up with a fast day a week.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #10 
ilikefishyys

im using the whisper filter and i may have shocked him a little. i have a heater and thermometer and when i do a 100% clean i syphon out everything and clean the sides of the tank and the gravel as well as all the plastic plants in the tank. I'll share a picture of my fish, but warning he looks sickly and i'm very worried