Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #111 
avraptorhal

Thanks for the info.

Question - Another site recommends that the top of water escape tube remain at least 3 inches from the water line. Do you know any reason for that?
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #112 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by avraptorhal View Post
Thanks for the info.

Question - Another site recommends that the top of water escape tube remain at least 3 inches from the water line. Do you know any reason for that?
I wrote the same thing in my original article in this thread. It's to allow free flow of bubbles and water through the tube and out the top so you don't restrict water flow through the sponge.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #113 
justmel

Thank you waterdog for creating this thread & having it in you signature. That's how I found it & it's going to prove invaluable to me. I'm in the porcess of setting up 8 tank (3 divided for makes, a sorority, 2 spawning, & 2 grow out tanks) at least. I've never been clear what size sponge filter to get for my tanks (my LPS doesn't sell them). I have 1 sponge filter currently & it's twice the size I needed it to be, but it still works. This is going to save me a lot of money and headache trying to figure out what to get! Now I just need to find a DIY on tank dividers!
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #114 
isochronism

I recently purchased a DeepBlue BioMaxx 10 hob power filter for my shrimp tank.
I then found a Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge that slips on the intake. Small black cylindrical type.
Waterdog, a very excellent post!!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #115 
waterdog

Your very welcome justme and isochronism and thank you for the kind words. This thread has been a great joy to me being able to help people with my limited expertise. Filtration has been an obcession of mine for years and is the one area I feel I can honestly help.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #116 
Jexx

I'm gonna go ahead and jump on the tank you bandwagon waterdog :) I too found out about sponge filters through your thread and asked a million questions and am now very happy with mine. I don't feel I am ready to make my own but I am super happy buying them. I like that I can take mine and put it in a bigger tank and it will still work. I also like how low maintenance it is. Currently the only filter I haven't tried is a canister filter. For me I'd say its a close tie between the sponge filter and the internal filter but the internal filter requires much more upkeep.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #117 
ryancalif

Waterdog, I love the idea of building a sponge filter, but have some questions. Great information by the way!

1. What kind of porosity are you looking at for these sponges? You mention a car washing sponge in your first post, but most of them are pretty dense sponges as far as I know... Have you tried verifying how well these filters work with testing? A dye test might work well... squirting some dye near the outside of the filter to see if it gets sucked up.

2. Are you hollowing out the inside of the sponge at all to reduce the amount of sponge material the water needs to travel through?

Thanks for the info!
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #118 
waterdog

Thank you Jexx for the kind words. I am glad you are so happy with your new filters. Nothing wrong with buying them. Some of us are just too DIY for our own good! lol

Good questions ryan. While I have not done personal comparisons on sponge material, I have read extensively those who have. My take on it boils down to this.......
some argue course sponges do offer more surface area for BB. The downside is they tend to clog more easily due to material getting loged on the bigger cells. Smaller cells hold more material on the outside, thus keeping the water channels free. Also small cell sponges seem to last longer due to the fact they are less likely to be torn during cleaning. To compensate, commercial manufacturers sometimes cut the exterior in 'shapes' believing it makes more surface area.

IMO in the average betta tank there is not enough bio load, i.e. lots of fish, to warrant all this. The appropriate size sponge of any type should be more than enough for a single fish.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #119 
Nibblez

Great informative info here, was clueless as to what a sponge filter is as well as the hype about it. So would this actually be recommended over the HOB filters if you had a large tank? What sould be considered the ideal size or minimum size tank to use a sponge filter over a HOB unit? How about the filter units that sit in the tank, how do that compare to the spone filter?
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #120 
Tikibirds

Do you know if there is a way to get a shorter lift tube? or is it easier to get a smaller filter?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filters, sponge, sponge filter