Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #51 
Chevko

Yeah, I have one of those, but it's a t-shaped one instead of like that. It came with the filter. I wasn't really certain about using it but I can clip off a piece of my tubing and put it on here. The existing tubing I've got connecting the two is a bit long because I was using it to draw more water out of the tank before I moved it. Is there a length to keep in mind with the tubing? Should it be only so long without much slack? I just thought of this with the mention of backflow.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #52 
waterdog

The only effect tubing length has is the longer it is the less pressure you get. I am assuming from your valve description that you have a double gang valve? You can use it without opening both valves. I just use the cheap inline valves since I only have 1 filter per tank and they are too far apart to run more than one filter on the same pump.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #53 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Was this brought up earlier in this thread?

The bubbles breaking at the surface promotes gas exchange and provides oxygen for the nitrifying bacteria.

It also outgasses some CO2 which tends to raise the pH.

Hate to mention this so far down in this thread.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #54 
waterdog

I don't remember this being brought up Hallyx, but a point anyway.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #55 
finnfinnfriend

Would this be enough for about 5 gallons of water, no live plants, and one betta with no tank mates?http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ati...lter-mini.html
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #56 
waterdog

Perfect! Just remember to put a control valve on your airline so you can control the air flow.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #57 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Perfect! Just remember to put a control valve on your airline so you can control the air flow.
Okay so 2.75in diameter by 2in high sponge will be enough? How do you install a control valve?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #58 
waterdog

Depends which you get, inline or a hob gang valve. I use the inline type. Simply cut the air tubing about 6 inches from the pump and insert into each end of the valve. When you start the pump watch the bubbles. You want them to make just a slight ripple on the surface without churning the surface. Play with it. It's easy!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #59 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Depends which you get, inline or a hob gang valve. I use the inline type. Simply cut the air tubing about 6 inches from the pump and insert into each end of the valve. When you start the pump watch the bubbles. You want them to make just a slight ripple on the surface without churning the surface. Play with it. It's easy!
Awesome! Thank you so much! So just to be completely sure, the hydro sponge mini thats rated for up to 7 gallons that I linked to, that is 2.75in wide x 2in tall should be big enough for my 5 gallon single betta tank that does NOT have any live plants?

Im sorry, I have really strong OCD tendencies
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #60 
finnfinnfriend

Oh yeah and the lift tube has a 1in diameter so I guess there is a 1in wide hole through the sponge.

Tags
filters, sponge, sponge filter