Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #61 
Juditko

This is an excellent thread...STICKY!

I found this YouTube video to be extremely helpful...(NOT to advertise for this particular brand of sponge, though it is what I purchased):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2_QKq3_YsI

It looked complicated before I bought it, but it's not. And mine actually came totally assembled. For use with an airstone, attach a 1/2 to 1 inch piece of airline below the bullseye assembly and attach a cylindrical airstone to it. Then attach the airline to the pump on the top side of the bullseye. (The top side connection is shown at 2:20 in the video.)

I mention a cylindrical airstone as that is what is most likely to fit. Hallyx and Callistra taught me how to connect mine when it came in!

I have one suggestion...could someone who has the capability include photos here of the different effects achieved with the lift tube cut at well under the water, at the surface, and above the surface? Some members have been trying to help me understand what the different heights will do. Mine is at surface currently and I'm thinking of cutting it down about an inch below. I was hoping to get a height that would keep the filter from "spitting" mist all over the underside of the lid. I might try the java moss suggestion if I can find some at my local store...Got to get the back-flow protector valve also...

I have a Tetra whisper airpump and it is super-quiet...

I'm a newbie at this, but if you're new, too, rest assured, it is MUCH easier than it looks. I should have bought this type first!!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #62 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Awesome! Thank you so much! So just to be completely sure, the hydro sponge mini thats rated for up to 7 gallons that I linked to, that is 2.75in wide x 2in tall should be big enough for my 5 gallon single betta tank that does NOT have any live plants?

Im sorry, I have really strong OCD tendencies
It will be fine. It goes by tank volume. The amount of live plants or the lack of live plants has no bearing on sponge size needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
This is an excellent thread...STICKY!

I have one suggestion...could someone who has the capability include photos here of the different effects achieved with the lift tube cut at well under the water, at the surface, and above the surface? Some members have been trying to help me understand what the different heights will do.
If you read my initial article, I advise having the top of the lift tube no less than 3 inches from the top of the water. You really shouldn't bypass this step. The lift tube is what makes a sponge filter work. The air pushing water out is what makes it draw water through the sponge. If your getting 'splattering' it means you have too strong of an air flow, thus the reason for the control valve. Slow down the air flow until you just have a gentle 'ripple' effect on the surface.

Sponge filters, IMO, are the easiest way to filter a betta tank. Simple and effective. No need to try to reinvent the wheel!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #63 
finnfinnfriend

Does it matter where I put the air pump?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #64 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Does it matter where I put the air pump?
Not really. Just remember the longer the air tube the less pressure you get, so I wouldn't put the pump in another room. lol

Last edited by waterdog; 02-19-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #65 
MiyuMikaelson

Opinions on this:

Topfin Filter 10 with:

Does this work well enough? It's slowed down my water-flow without making the water absolutely still.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #66 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Not really. Just remeber the longer the air tube the less pressure you get, so I wouldn't put the pump in another room. lol
Alright. Thanks for the help!

STICKY!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #67 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyuMikaelson View Post
Opinions on this:

Does this work well enough? It's slowed down my water-flow without making the water absolutely still.
If it works for you then it is fine. That is a HOB, the pre-filter doesn't make it a sponge filter per-say. Depending on the size of tank and the situation determines if the HOB or a true sponge filter is what's needed. Example, you wouldn't put that on a 2.5 gallon or even a 5 gallon as it would make too much outflow. Personally I have a spilt 10 gallon with a sponge filter on each side to ensure both sides get maximum filtration without too much turbulance.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #68 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
If it works for you then it is fine. That is a HOB, the pre-filter doesn't make it a sponge filter per-say. Depending on the size of tank and the situation determines if the HOB or a true sponge filter is what's needed. Example, you wouldn't put that on a 2.5 gallon or even a 5 gallon as it would make too much outflow. Personally I have a spilt 10 gallon with a sponge filter on each side to ensure both sides get maximum filtration without too much turbulance.
Ah, my tank came with this filter; it's a 5 Gallon. I bought the pre-filter to help slow it down. (And make it potentially shrimp safe.) I've also "ghetto rigged it" with part of a plastic soda bottle so that the water distribution coming out is slowed and more "equal" in distribution and wont cause him to topple over. It's not quite ideal, but I'm trying to make it work.
^^;
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #69 
waterdog

Your betta will let you know if it works or not. You have pre-filtered so his tail doesn't get sucked up, you've baffled the outflow. About all you can do. Keep an eye on him and watch to see if he looks tired from fighting current. Usually they will either hide behind the outflow of the pump to escape current, or just lay on the bottom from being exhausted.

Just curious.........is this setup for the fish in your avatar?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #70 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Your betta will let you know if it works or not. You have pre-filtered so his tail doesn't get sucked up, you've baffled the outflow. About all you can do. Keep an eye on him and watch to see if he looks tired from fighting current. Usually they will either hide behind the outflow of the pump to escape current, or just lay on the bottom from being exhausted.

Just curious.........is this setup for the fish in your avatar?
Yes it's for him, he's got some long fins, which is why I've been doing everything I can to slow the water flow.
^^;

I will definitely keep a close eye on him and make sure everything is alright and that he's not becoming more exhausted.

Tags
filters, sponge, sponge filter