Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Air Pumps

Do I need an air pump for my 5.5g filled with 5g water in anticipation of a golden mystery snail or tiger nerite?
I have : 1 male betta, 1 amano shrimp, and plants

I am thinking of having a nerite or golden mystery snail when my amano shrimp gets eaten (morbid thought but I think it might happen). I had 2 (1.25' long) since 1/16/13 and Fred ate one yesterday...
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
Sixwolf

I don't think an air pump is necessary, but I have one for my 5-gal. I just have to turn the air flow down to its lowest setting so that the bubbles don't agitate the water too much for my betta. I also use a diffuser instead of an air stone, since I like the smaller bubbles better and I've heard they're more efficient.
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #3 
waterdog

If your not going to use a HOB, I would at least put that air pump to work with a sponge filter.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #4 
Otterfun

thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
If your not going to use a HOB, I would at least put that air pump to work with a sponge filter.
mine is an internal filter, I think. It came with my Fluval Spec V kit and the tank has a compartment for the water pump and another for the foam filter, BioMax bag, and Carbon bag unit. It has an outflow at the top of the tank.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #6 
waterdog

In that case use the internal and forget the air pump
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 
prettykitty123

Does a diffuser work better than an airstone?

I have an air pump and an airstone in the shape of a starfish, but have never used them.
prettykitty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #8 
Otterfun

You will need a check valve and another mechanism to control the strength of the air flow. I saw that Petco Brand has a combo of 2 valves with air flow control plus check valve all in one unit for $5.99. The check valve will stop the siphoning action of water backing into the air pump if there is a power failure. So you will definitely need that or else you might have a damaged pump and an empty tank from the water draining out.

Then you can control the airflow and the strength of the current that is connected to a decor or airstone.

I think I am going to pass on the airstone thought for my tank, too much trouble for the little benefit of air flow since Fred cannot take strong currents too well.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #9 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettykitty123 View Post
Does a diffuser work better than an airstone?

I have an air pump and an airstone in the shape of a starfish, but have never used them.
Do you have any other type of filter? What size tank? I am of the thought that the only use for an air pump is to run a sponge filter. Simply using an airstone really has no benefits for water quality or the betta.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #10 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I think I am going to pass on the airstone thought for my tank, too much trouble for the little benefit of air flow since Fred cannot take strong currents too well.
Good call. If you have an internal filter you have everything you need!