Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Question about weird possible birth defect(?)

Since day one, my lovely fish Cass has had a discoloured patch on her side. Like it's a creamy white colour like when Female's get breeding stripes, but she has always had it. The thing is, that patch has almost no scale definition. Like you can see a scale texture on a fish. That's obvious, but you can't see any scale pattern/texture on that patch. She's perfectly healthy, eats normally, is playful, doesn't sulk, doesn't rub her side on things, and we did treat her for fungus and such with no results. Is it possible she maybe has a touch of the colour-change (marbling) gene?

I'd love to take a picture, but every time I bring out a camera or go near her tank she turns into a crazy glass surfer. I've tried. Just can't get a picture that shows that there isn't much texture to it. This is the best I can provide, though she was a little pale after a water change. That's part of why I think she has the colour change gene. After a water change, she doesn't just get fear stripes, she turns really, really pale.

Was just curious what you all think.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #2 
xShainax

Could be a marble. Paco has splotches like that and he's marbling
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 
fleetfish

The white patch is her internal ovaries/reproductive organs. They're pretty noticable on pale coloured females and it's very common. :)
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #4 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfish View Post
The white patch is her internal ovaries/reproductive organs. They're pretty noticable on pale coloured females and it's very common. :)
I think she was talking about the scales on her side. It's too big to be her ovaries
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #5 
Aluka

looks almost like she had a injury and is recovering =/
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #6 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

It's possible, I mean she has a bent spine as is, but she doesn't act injured, depressed, or unhappy.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #7 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

So it's possible it was a birth defect or an injury at birth, etc (Finding Nemo style!) but it seems to not affect her at all. I was just curious if anyone had encountered something similar.