Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #1 
itsuki

what plant is this??

saw it outside, thought it would be a nice addition to my tank. it kinda looks like red ludwigia to me. your thoughts/guesses.

itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

Well its not a Dandelion, but it is in the Taraxacum family. Out of that family i would have to say it resembles a Catsear plant or Wild lettuce. But from the size of the plants around it, It looks to still be in its maturing stages, buy spring the plant is deferentially going to get bigger than that.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #3 
itsuki

think i can transfer it into my tank??
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

Like a fish tank of a lizard tank? But, truthfully i wouldn't because in the pic it looks like it near a sewer.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 
itsuki

aahhhh true :( back to the fish store to look for more live plants for me then
Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #6 
Fishybitty

If you have a Petsmart around, they have some cheap plants in their tanks by the fish. Range from $2.50+ (typically)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #7 
LadyVictorian

I wouldn't take plant from the wild unless you know what they are, know they are 100% aquatic plants, and know how to treat wild plants since most carry parasites and other harmful things.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I recommend you to not mess with random plants until you are very familiar with atleast the most common aquatic plants...
if you really want to bring in a plant from outside you can collect some at local waterways, however, do make sure it is legal to do so before hand.
You plant looks like a common garden weed. i think the leaves also release a white liquid when broken. Without even getting into whether this plants is aquatic or the fact that it doesn't resemble the ludwigia species at all... I don't believe you should put this in your tank...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #9 
MSG

Beware of plants from outside sources.

That plant is definitely a terrestrial weed & the picture you took clearly shows it's located right next to the sewer grate.

Based on the details in that photo you posted, I can see a zinc plated hex bolt, several lava rock type stones, and other miscellaneous debris you would find in a urban sidewalk.

Weeds can grow ANYWHERE & can absolutely THRIVE on pollution too. Make sure you don't grab stuff that's from water, that could be contaminated with antifreeze/oil/detergents/surfactants.

Various types construction waste & oil slicks in the surface of the water is a good indicator to disqualify the source.

If you drop in the wrong plant, it's a great way to kill all the CHERISHED inhabitants of the tank and introduce a huge spectrum of unwanted parasites & other deadly pathogens.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote