Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 
TaylerHill

Question Slimy film on top of bettas water?

My blue VT betta has recently gotten a thin layer of slime on the top of his water. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank with silk plants and a small heater. I feed betta flakes once a day. I clean the tank once a week. My other betta who is a tank the same size with the same plants/water/etc doesn't have it. Should I be worried?
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #2 
Demysta

For a tank that size, you should at least do a 50% water change in the middle of the week. That way the ammonia won't build up too much and your fish friend stays healthy. I'd up it to a 75% or 100% water change ASAP just to be sure it won't get your betta sick.
If your fish isn't sick, it isn't anything to worry about. Just be mindful of your water changes.
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #3 
TaylerHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demysta View Post
For a tank that size, you should at least do a 50% water change in the middle of the week. That way the ammonia won't build up too much and your fish friend stays healthy. I'd up it to a 75% or 100% water change ASAP just to be sure it won't get your betta sick.
If your fish isn't sick, it isn't anything to worry about. Just be mindful of your water changes.
Ok I will fit in a water change in the middle of the week for both of them. Right now I do a 100% change once per week.
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #4 
Thomas148

Sorry I accidentally commented on this instead of posting in my own page. I'm new to this website. Sorry :/
Thomas148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #5 
PaulO

Protein film = oil like film on the surface.
you can do a water change or take a small plastic cup and just put one end under the water lightly so the surface water rushes in. Less water gone along with film .
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
Protein film = oil like film on the surface.
you can do a water change or take a small plastic cup and just put one end under the water lightly so the surface water rushes in. Less water gone along with film .
So is the protein film a bad thing?
I saw some air stones that says with protein skimmer....
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 
Myates

Nope, just a film.. no damage, just unsightly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #8 
BettaPirate

My newest Betta blows bubble nest like crazy and the bubble nests get sticky and can leave a film if you don't remove them when you do a water change. I don't know if it is the same thing as the protein build up or not but I never had that happen with Jack Sparrow and he rarely blows bubble nests
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

I get that sometimes, I have no idea what it is (something in my tap water maybe?) but it never seems to bother the fish. I just use the cup method PaulO recommended, and get rid of it that way. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote