Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #1 
kulain

Do planted tanks (5Gallon) need a filter?

Hey guys,

I want to start planting in my 5 gallon tank (fluval chi) and let me betta live in it, but I am wondering if I need to keep the filter - I read some conflicting things about if bettas need a filter or not. I don't plan on using potting soil or anything just the eco-complete substrate with sand on top. There is light and co2 source which will be turned off at night.
kulain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #2 
Trackpadtactics

If you are going to go planted a Fluval chi is kinda odd and i had one but i returned it for a Aqueon Evolve 4. Iv heard some people are good with it. Awesome design, bad filter. So, if you are going planted it is recommended to have a filter so bacteria can bloom and so on. This is what makes a good, balanced and happy tank. So to be honest with you and how i see the Chi, you may wanna get a new filter but you can try it! Do some research first about that tank.
Trackpadtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #3 
babystarz

Filters are optional with heavily planted tanks. The plants themselves act as a filter.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote