Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #1 
Summerwind

New Bettas

I've taken the Betta plunge. Breaks my heart to see them in tiny containers so I got two. They each have their own 2.5 gal. tank with filter and light. I have tried all kinds of food but it seems they will only eat frozen blood worms. So much for what people told me they are used to eating. The one loves the Betta Log and the other lounges on the plants. Both eat very well when I hold the worms in a hemostat in front of them. Here are a few pictures and their "homes". The red, white and blue one is a Dragonscale Crowntail and the other is possibly a half moon tail?
Attached Images

Summerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

they are amazing, i would probably invest in some heaters for them since they are tropical fish
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 
Summerwind

Somewhere I read where you shouldn't use a heater with tanks under 5 gallons. I don't have any objection to getting heaters. Is this true?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

Im not totaly sure about it mattering for a 5g but i've always heard and known that bettas are tropical fish so they need to stay in warm water, but maybe another member will help :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #5 
madmonahan

They need heaters. :) I have a one gallon that that has a heater, with the right heater it is fine. Temp should stay around 78-82F. Which means you also need thermometer, they are pretty cheap. The glass ones are the best kind in my opinion.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Awww, what lovely little guys they are! :) Congrats on the new boys! And very cute little setups you have there. ;)

As far as heaters go....really its only when you get down to something under 2 gallons that things start to get a little more difficult to heat, and anything under a gallon is just about nearly impossible(though I've heard of it done). However, provided you have a good heater of the proper wattage you can certainly heat tanks under 5 gallons....and seeing as bettas are a tropical species, unless you live in an area with a fairly warm and mild climate and your home(or room your fish are in) stays in the low/mid 80s with very few small fluctuations day-night/seasonally.....its best to invest in a heater, if only to keep the temp stable as fluctuations more then a degree or two regularly can be very stressful.
Personally, I would recommend just ordering a pair of these heaters: http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-AHY00322...rds=Hydor+Theo
They're very reliable with fantastic reviews, and you're going to have a hard time finding a 25 watt adjustable heater(which is what you want for that size of a tank....anything larger might run the risk of over-heating/would probably be too bulky to fit and you want to stay clear of the pad/present heaters as those are unreliable and often over/under heat your tank)in stores sadly.
Of course, as already mentioned, always get a thermometer to monitor temp. ;)

And about the food.....most all bettas prefer frozen foods like bloodworms over most other foods, lol, but sadly bloodworms do not meet the full nutritional needs of a betta and feeding only them as a staple diet, in the long run, will leave your bettas malnourished. They're a bit like treats or biscuits for dogs....wonderful on occasion, but you need a good high quality kibble(or in this case with bettas, pellets)in order to provide them with the nutrition they need to thrive and be healthy. ;)

I would very highly suggest picking up a good high quality pellet like New Life Spectrum(found at Petco) Betta/Small Fish formula to provide for their staple diet.
Once you have a good pellet, I'd suggest what I like to call the 'tough love' approach. This is where you offer them nothing but the pellets, removing any uneaten food after a few minutes, for as long as it takes for them to eat them. This can take anywhere from days, to weeks....but for it to work you must be persistent, patient, and strong...and remember its for their own good. Don't worry about your betta starving....that can take at least two weeks, probably more, and since you are offering food they will eat when they are hungry enough.
Hopefully they'll take to NLS quickly enough....it has garlic in it already, which helps promote appetite. ;)

Good luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Those are so nice! Everyone else has said it, but a heater would help!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #8 
Summerwind

Thanks everyone! I will definitely get the heaters and also take the suggestion on the pellet food. It will kill me to see them "not" eat for awhile, but I want to do what is best for them.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Awesome. :)
I can totally sympathize though, I've had to go through the process with several bettas before....its really never at all easy, I won't lie, but in the long run it really is best. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #10 
Summerwind

DragonFish, thanks so much for the Amazon link on the heaters. Ordered them plus another betta log and thermometers. Thanks again!