Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #11 
MistersMom

I don't think he bought it, i think he found it.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #12 
Indigo Betta

Actually it was sold to me by pets at home as a CLAM, when I got my first fish. Its about 8 months old now, so I don't think its going to die- at least I hope not.

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 01-24-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #13 
emeraldmaster

Smile

I kept the same kind of muscle in our tanks for almost 2 years! No need to tell me that they are useless! But mine were wild caught, had 6!!! These buggers are great and I could remember where I caught them I would do it again...
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

MSG there's no reason to be talking like that around someone's pet, I find it very rude. You were wrong about it dying, you don't have to keep going on about it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean no one should keep them.

It does look like a mussel, there's so many types that I'm not sure how you would start trying to find the species. If the store would tell you the origin if it's wild caught that would help narrow it down a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #15 
Skyewillow

I had a big freshwater clam like that in my tank with my goldies, I made sure to crush spirulina and regular fish flakes till they were too small for the fish to bother with, and that sucker doubled in size till my fiance sold him behind my back. >_> We found ours in a river.

If you're willing to feed them, they won't die. There are plenty of filter feeding fish and coral species that people have successfully kept in the home aquarium.

And I agree with Olympia, that was extremely rude of you, MSG. How would you feel if someone posted pictures of your favorite species of pet fish battered and deep fried???
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #16 
Laki

Wait. I didn't even know people could consider clams/mussels as pets!! lol
What do they eat? And how do they eat??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #17 
polukoff

Good luck, I've heard of very few cases where they live. More trouble than it's worth.

Last edited by polukoff; 01-25-2013 at 03:23 PM.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #18 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I had a big freshwater clam like that in my tank with my goldies, I made sure to crush spirulina and regular fish flakes till they were too small for the fish to bother with, and that sucker doubled in size till my fiance sold him behind my back. >_>
My whatever it is (Mussel Clam??) has grown quite a bit since I got it and I haven't really had to do anything special for it.

I read up about clams when I first got it and the site said they were filter feeders. Fingers crossed it seems to be thriving at the moment.

Don't care what other people think, I think it makes a nice addition to the tank.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #19 
Skyewillow

there's a difference between stating the extra care requirement, and posting pictures of deep fried clams.

And yes, they also require calcium in the water too, in addition to filter feeding. Like snails, they have a shell to maintain.

And just because you personally would eat your pets, doesn't mean the OP wants to see it, nor do the rest of us. The next time we process a rabbit for the dinner table, shall I photograph the entire process and email it to you?

Also, just because your dog runs 5 miles a day, doesn't mean anything, just that it exercises. My dogs got free rein of 5 acres for at least half the day, but my dogs still had broken backs or legs if they ran into traffic.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

They can live, but they need green water.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote