Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #1 
ohhaiitslily

Smile Naming My Betta (along with other things)

Hello, many of you probably remember me from my big dramatic spaz thing about having two female bettas in a one gallon. Well, that has been fixed, as I returned one of mine, and now the other is swimming happily in the tank. I'm not sure what to name her, though. Her name used to be Hazel, with the other one named Grace (because one of my favorite book characters is named Hazel Grace) but now I'm thinking I might want to change it because she's by herself now. Any suggestions?
ohhaiitslily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #2 
waterdog

Why confuse her with a new name? Being older, I remember the tv show about a maid named Hazel and she was everybodys friend!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #3 
ohhaiitslily

Because it wasn't her official name yet. I mean it was, but only for about a day, even less. But I think I'll keep it anyway :)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #4 
efg321

When it's tome to get another like a male you can name him Mr B. (another character from the show) hahaha!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

So happy you did the right thing, also I would say Hazel is a nice name.

Also if you don't think the name sits well with her you can always take a word from her personality like Graceful or something that reminds you of her like Rain and translate it on Google Translate until you find that word in another language you like.

I normally have a theme with my critters. All my Rats have Victorian/Steampunk era names (Belladonna, Filistata, Lucilla, Saraphina) and all my aquatic critters have names revolving around science, lore, and old literature/science. (Aquarius, Copernicus, Nikola Tesla, Bilbo Froggins, Hollow (Sleepy Hollow), and Phoenix (more her situation really.)
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 
ohhaiitslily

I'm glad I did too :) She seems MUCH happier without the other one, and now the other is probably gonna end up in a better (less cramped) home :)
I like your idea of the different themes for the animals! That's cool :) I think I'm probably going to keep Hazel with that name c:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

She just wanted to be queen of the castle xD I know how girls are, total diva's. Between my two boys they have their tanks side by side and like to play macho men flaring at each other when I pull the book blocking their view but Nix see's both the boy's 24/7 from her dresser and I can tell you as much as those boys can flare at each other she comes right up to the glass if they so much as think of looking at her and acts like she's going to fly across the room and get them both. They are so prissy that way. The only betta she didn't get huffy over was Aquarius since she had known him when she was a tiny fry. (rescues her from Petco in the worst conditions possible O.o)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #8 
ohhaiitslily

Hahaha, that's really funny. Yeah, at first, I thought they were just playing with each other when Hazel was chasing Grace everywhere, but then when Grace was sitting at the bottom (and after I freaked out and got tons of advice and stuff) I realized it actually was a problem and I'd be much happier with one fish than two dead ones.
My cat, named Bunny (it's a long story) sometimes enjoys going onto the table that the tank is on and watching her (luckily there's a lid), so that's fun too XD
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

My cat is afraid of my fish, Hollow flared at her and he's part king (honestly at 3 inches minus his tail I think he's a giant officially.) she was so startled she fell off my desk and ran out of my room. NOW...the rats are another story. My rat Filistata thinks she's a mighty lioness looking for her next meal and accidentally took a dive into one of the tanks when my girl Nix bit her tail and made her scream. As if getting wet wasn't bad enough for her the fish tried to eat her T.T Last time I let Fili free roam my bedroom when I am cleaning the tanks.