Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #1 
shawnee

Exclamation Breeding second time any quick tips?

so ive done my research and this is my second time i got a nice 6 month standerd fin male beta and im conditioning him ten gallon tank sponge filter heater at 80 and some styrfoam cups on the top also a hide for female lots of live plants and others tips and also one wuick question any other ideas for buubles nest objects i only have 1 water letuce isnt in season now i would use that though mostly
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 
efg321

I picked up a tip from another breeders picture they floated a small square of bubble wrap. about 3"x4" rectangular.....seems like a good idea!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #3 
shawnee

thanks seems like a good idea i just got the stuff for my b day wich was yesterday but i got the stuff about a week ago so it all cycled time to let lem sttle in and condition know any good sites for buying quality bettas for breeding?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #4 
efg321

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
thanks seems like a good idea i just got the stuff for my b day wich was yesterday but i got the stuff about a week ago so it all cycled time to let lem sttle in and condition know any good sites for buying quality bettas for breeding?
Depending on where you are? shipping can be tricky it was 14 degrees in Md. this am....
Aquabid, ebay etc. some of the breeders on this site have posted beautiful fish!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #5 
shawnee

well i woke up to -11 :/ had to walk 2 bus
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #6 
Myates

Got the tank a week ago, it's not cycled.. but it doesn't matter as you don't want a filter going with the babies.. you will want to turn it off during the breeding.. make sure to remove it and clean it out, as if you let it sit then any bacteria that had grown on it will die while the eggs are in the nest and when you turn it back on, could push out lots of dead bacteria..

Keep in mind not to breed in the male's home tank.. he should have another tank to condition in and be introduced into the breeding tank when it's time to breed, and then at some point after the fry have hatched you will remove him back into his home tank.

How high do you have the water level? May want to up the temp just a tiny bit.. 80 is fine, but sometimes the cooler the water the longer it takes to hatch the eggs.

What is a standard fin betta?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #7 
shawnee

yes i know all of this stuff i cycled my tank with a sponge filter i placed in my chiclid tank for a wekk my water levle is 4-5 in and because im just condtion my sponge filter is on I do have a seperate home for the male a 3.5 spare tank i had floating around
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #8 
shawnee

also startned finned are the most common type of beta there just run of hte mill type fish im breeding those for the first time so if a fail ill have only wasted a little bit of money after i have a sucsesfull spawn ill try a half moon
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #9 
Myates

The filter will still need more than a week to cycle the tank. I just would be very careful and not cross contaminate from one tank to another - you will have to keep the filter off for a week or so which will kill the bacteria. Unsure how many people cycle their breeding tanks, haven't ran across anyone who does so have no advice on how to keep the cycle going without risking bringing bad things over from another fish tank in with your delicate fry.

There wasn't a whole lot of detail in your post and it gave me a certain impression, why I mentioned what I did.

You must be meaning VT (Veiltail).. wish you luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #10 
shawnee

yes well theres the thing cycle on nopt to cycle i have done many other tanks i have something like 10 pleasesure tanks but the male i have Moonlight is doing fine hes been snaking on some blood worms live brine and i nice flake food for cople days gona cyle for a wek