Betta Fish Forum banner

floating plants need types!!!!!!!

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  shawnee 
#1 ·
soo im doing a breeding tank so i needx some ideas of live plants any good thoughts!!!:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

#4 ·
kool ill look for those and those all good for breeding?

#6 ·
I'm a big fan of salvinia. It's structurally similar to duckweed but larger and slower growing. The size makes it easier to manage (move, remove, get off your arms, not transfer to other tanks... et al :))

Water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) will also do a good job growing on the surface.

I haven't had luck getting my java moss to float, but I had mine growing near my water sprite and the two joined forces to form this giant floating island.

#7 ·
My favorite floating plant is Water lettuce-especially in my spawning tanks-The Betta fry love to hang out in the long roots that hang down in the water column and feed on the microorganism that colonize among the roots. Plus the male like to anchor his nest to the water lettuce if he doesn't anchor on to the Oak leaf I have floating. Not to mention how great water lettuce is at keeping the water safe in general.

I use a more natural method to spawn using a 5gal-10gal soil based-heavy planted tank-full to the top with water and will always have some type of floating plant, with water lettuce being what I like the best and will often have frogbit and duckweed in the tank too.

#9 ·
I haven't had luck with salvinia. I got some and the lady at my LFS (not petco/smart mind you) told me it was water lettuce. It gets blown around with my filter (the smaller ones do) and it hasn't spread like I wanted. I put in some dwarf lettuce (from another LFS) and let them intermingle and WHAM, luck! If you do salvinia, get a good handful. The more the easier I think. I've had sprite die in the same tank lettuce flourished. Seemed like the more I got to start with, the better my chances than just a couple pieces. I put in about 5 descent sized pieces into my betta tank that had perfect roots (about 1.5 inch long) and now it's just the root.. Someone's been eating em LOL. My Honey Sunset Gourami in my 29 eats the others. My big mama plant doesn't get touched. Maybe they just like baby roots.

I haven't ever tried frogbit but I know it has longer skinnier roots and the leaves have air pockets in it so it floats with more rigidity.

#10 ·
kool ill will start looking for some of those

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.