Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #1 
PaulO

Question Can I use this dirt in my soon to be 5.5 gallon NPT

So I went to home depot to get some dirt and this was the only one thta was the closest to organic I could find. Can I use this in my tank or is it possibly hazardous to my fish' health.

PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #2 
fish monger

It's hard to say. Most folks use an organic potting MIX rather than soil. Most often named product is Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

the "wetting agent" troubles me.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #4 
PaulO

The problem was this was the only soil they had without fertilizers and manure, and I thought you couldn't use mix...If anything I can go back today and exchange it. Just so I know what things should I avoid in the mix? Ex. Manure, Fertilizers, etc.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm not against trying it, I've had success withdifferent types of souls and potting mixes and before. try it on a smaller scale.. say a jar. Plant well with fast growing stemsadd pest snails as a safety checker, and test the params after a week. make sure the Jar has a 6500k lighting...

do some research on the wetting agent, if it's non toxic, it shouldnt be a problem.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 
efg321

test tank sounds like a good idea but if you are trying to achieve better results faster, exchange for the miracle gro organic. Cutting any variable out is always good for the solution! If you try the test tank and fail, you will lose a week or two and still have to go buy another soil.....
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #7 
jjposko

Top soil should be fine as long as it has no fertilizers added. You could even use the soil in your back yard if you wanted. Again you don't want any added chemicals or fertilizers. You don't have to use miracle grow based potting soil.

Read Oldfishlady's sticky on soil based tanks and it will give you all the info you need in setting up your tank.

Last edited by jjposko; 01-21-2013 at 11:19 AM.
jjposko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #8 
aemaki09

If you do change this out to miracle grow, you need miracle grow organic potting SOIL. Not mix. But it's not necessary, you could use anything organic as long as its top or potting soil and not mix.
What you have now looks good other than the wetting agent, I'd do some research on it unless you don't have any issues running back to the store.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #9 
Virto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
If you do change this out to miracle grow, you need miracle grow organic potting SOIL. Not mix.
Potting MIX is fine.

I use MG organic potting mix and it's fish safe. Dustin from Aquaticjungles / FishtankTV uses it as well and it's used frequently by folks at plantedtank.net.

Just soak it good and long or you'll end up with plenty of suspended crud even after capping. I've had nothing but excellent luck with it.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #10 
PaulO

Well I looked and this was the only other soil I could find....if need be I can make the journey to an Armstrong nursery that's a little farther away...

Can I use this or is the other better? If neither is an ok option I can make the trip but only if it is necessary...I just can't keep dragging my parents from place to place but if these two are toxic to fish then its a given that the trip will happen. Also if you are answering PLEASE only answer if you are experienced or know or at least can confirm the response, I apologize but I really can't wrap my head around all these conflicting answers, Thank You.

-Paul O

Last edited by PaulO; 01-22-2013 at 12:13 AM.