Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #1 
KeshiaB

Mini rant

I've spoken to people in the past that buy their kids bettas for presents, but, they only let their kids keep their bettas in small (1 gallon or less) bowls. The usual excuses are: I don't want my kids flooding the place; the pet store said this is fine; I don't want to clean a big tank if my kids get sick of the fish etc etc...

People, please think before bringing any animal into your home! You will have this creature for the rest of its life. The minute you purchase a pet you and your family are responsible for its life!

Keeping a betta in a small bowl is like bringing home a puppy and keeping it in the cupboard. Please do your research, ignore the pet stores and if you think your kids will get sick of a fish, don't buy it!
Posted via Mobile Device
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #2 
Kashmir

Amen!
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #3 
isntanything

If a parent goes into a pet store and asks the staff about betta care, then they think (not unreasonably) that they ARE being responsible and doing their research. How are they supposed to know that most pet store employees don't know their backside from their elbow? It's understandable that they would trust them rather than the internet (where you can also find plenty of terrible advice).

A lot of people who are great betta keepers now started off with a fish in a tiny bowl.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #4 
Sophiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntanything View Post
If a parent goes into a pet store and asks the staff about betta care, then they think (not unreasonably) that they ARE being responsible and doing their research. How are they supposed to know that most pet store employees don't know their backside from their elbow? It's understandable that they would trust them rather than the internet (where you can also find plenty of terrible advice).

A lot of people who are great betta keepers now started off with a fish in a tiny bowl.
This is true. I had no idea that I was keeping my first betta in a bad home, I thought I was treating him nicely. I loved him! But I kept him in a half gallon unheated bowl and only changed his water when it got cloudy. And I was acting on the advice of people who really should have known better. Fortunately, I've done better for my later bettas, but I didn't know better.

This was the days before the internet, though, so people have much less excuse now, with all the information at the tip of their fingers. There is still so much bad information floating around, even in "official sources" it's hard to fault well meaning folks OR overworked, underpaid, untrained pet store employees (the folks in the fish department at my local chain store are about 17 years old and definitely not experts) for the misinformation.

I don't know the solution, but it's probably not to blame the broke young people working at your local petsmart who are told what to do and not trained better either. They have no real control of the policies of their stores.
Sophiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #5 
KeshiaB

Agreed, personally my first point of call would be a library to read a book on fish care.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, it just scares me that so many people take on another life to care for without seeking any knowledge whatsoever.
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #6 
Sathori

My co-workers and I work hard to make sure we educate customers on proper betta care. We not only talk to customers about tank size, water quality, and proper nutrition, we also have a paper posted with betta facts (that dispel all the myths) right by where they bettas are kept. We get very protective over them and often end up taking half of them home xD

That being said, it doesn't stop the stubborn who think "I can just flush it when my kid gets bored of it." I try to talk them out of buying the betta all together then.
I've had a customer ask if she could order a guinea pig and then return it once her kid got bored of it. I asked her if she understood what she was buying...

It seems a lot of people in this area that I live in does not understand the value of the life of animals. It deeply saddens me.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #7 
Ilovebettasbk11

I keep my two bettas in a bowl and They are healthy
Ilovebettasbk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #8 
cheekysquirrel

We bought my stepdaughter a betta. She's 7. That being said, we did a lot of research (for a year, in fact- we decided to get one last January!), we got a fair-sized tank, filter, heater, etc, and we're not expecting her to do the caring. So he's a family fish, really. We have the responsibility, she has the option to watch him.
I agree that there's no excuse for ignorance these days. And while it may not be the fault of the untrained, 17 year old person at the store, the customer should be smart enough to think "hey, this kid hasn't even finished school, they're telling me to care for a life by letting a single plant clean the bowl, maybe I should do some research."
Obviously not all pet store workers are uninformed 17 year olds. This was just an example.
cheekysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #9 
MarcyT

When I got my first betta (some friends were moving and there was no where else for their fish to go), he lived in too small of a tank. It was a tank that my friends had got at a pet store that was supposed to be a betta tank. I ended up moving him into a goldfish bowl (bigger, but no where near big enough). None of us knew any better. My friends loved him. When on vacation, they would have me check on him because they were worried about him. We certainly would have never knowingly done anything to hurt him, and everyone involved were experienced pet owners. We just did what we were told. (Listening to what I was told worked with other pets I've owned.)

When I got my second betta, I did some research to buy him a new tank (there was a bit of time between the two bettas, and we gave away all of the first bettas things) and learned that he needed a bigger tank. My second betta has a five gallon tank. In fact, some of the spoiling he gets (and he is a bit on the spoiled side) is out of guilt for not taking as good of care of my first betta.

I got my second betta at Petsmart. I've gotten all my fish at that same location, and they are good. Every time I buy tetras for the big tank, they talk to me about what fish I have to keep the tank from being overcrowded or having incompatible fish. When I bought my betta, they talked to me about my set up and gave me several brochures on betta care.

All this being said, it does make me sad how many fish (and other animals) are poorly cared about because parents think it's cute to get them as presents. This is a living creature! Take care of it! I got my big tank for my eighth birthday. My parents researched everything. They knew I couldn't handle a tank at that age. They took care of those fish. The only thing I did until I was older was feed them, and if I hadn't done that, they would have for me. They got it as a first pet, in part to see if I was up to having a dog, but they knew that if I wasn't up for it or got bored with the fish, they would take good care of them.
MarcyT is offline   Reply With Quote