Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #1 
tnvol

Ordering from Thailand on Aquabid

Has anyone ordered any of the bettas from Aquabid that come from Thailand? I'm just curious how safe it is. What condition the fish are in when they arrive or if they even arrive. I'm leary of sending money overseas. Thanks!
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #2 
babystarz

If you pay via Paypal it doesn't matter where the money is going, it's Paypal that guarantees your purchase and it's an American company.

I have bought from Malaysia before with no problems, although the bettas were wild so I can't really vouch for how splendens do. My fish were very healthy, thanks in part to the great care of the trans-shipper. If you or your trans-shipper are north of the Mason-Dixon line it's probably a bad time of year to have fish shipped to you though; most heat packs run out before the fish arrives from the trans-shipper so you may end up with dead fishsicles due to the climate. I am not ordering any fish until spring.

Last edited by babystarz; 01-23-2013 at 08:17 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

A lot of people here ordered fish from Thailand through AB. Usually breeders. They arrived a little stressed and some tail bit, but that always goes away with proper care. If it's a DOA, (dead on arrival) they get replaced.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 
tnvol

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #5 
aemaki09

If you look at the seller's feedback on ab or eBay it'll tell you if they are legit or not.
I haven't personally bought from there, but am working on my first 2 purchases.
+1 to whoever said PayPal is responsible for the money. They will investigate and get you a refund if the seller was a fraud, but that's a VERY rare happening that a seller will screw you over like that.
The only thing you need to watch out for when importing is that you will have to pay both the seller for the fish and $5 for shipping to the US. Then contact whichever Transhipper you use and pay them to take responsibility of importing your fish and shipping them to you. (Normally costs around $35)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #6 
strangelove

I recently bought my first fish through AquaBid, the whole thing was really easy and pleasant! He left Thailand on a Thursday, arrived to the transhipper on a Friday night, and was at my house on a Tuesday morning (I did Express shipping). He came in perfect condition! I was a little scared too, but the whole thing went perfectly. The breeder and transhipper I used were both great!
strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #7 
Option

But you end up paying more for all the shipping & transhipper fees than you do for the fish alone. And that part really sucks. Especially if the fish doesn't arrive alive.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #8 
Phaydra

I've had very good experiences with Aquabid Bettas. I just bought 2 more from BettaAkapes and my little copper female from there is still being her silly self. My avatar betta is another Aquabid Betta. I know there is a chance some of them will chew their tails in transport but all 4 of mine came through with very little stress thanks to the transhipper I used. If you buy just remember if paying for overnight you do not have to use the Transhipper closest to you. I use Jennifer Viveiros and she is across the country from me. I also prefer Jennifer over my closest transhipper as she actually gives the Bettas clean water before she ships. Poor Dalish was in his little bag for 3 days with the same water.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #9 
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
I've had very good experiences with Aquabid Bettas. I just bought 2 more from BettaAkapes and my little copper female from there is still being her silly self. My avatar betta is another Aquabid Betta. I know there is a chance some of them will chew their tails in transport but all 4 of mine came through with very little stress thanks to the transhipper I used. If you buy just remember if paying for overnight you do not have to use the Transhipper closest to you. I use Jennifer Viveiros and she is across the country from me. I also prefer Jennifer over my closest transhipper as she actually gives the Bettas clean water before she ships. Poor Dalish was in his little bag for 3 days with the same water.
That is great advice. Thank you so much. When ordering, do you just decide on a trans-shipper and let the seller know who the trans-shipper is?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #10 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
That is great advice. Thank you so much. When ordering, do you just decide on a trans-shipper and let the seller know who the trans-shipper is?
Yes but iirc you need to contact Linda Olson before you order. Someone here who has used her can tell you. Jennifer and Julie contact you after the shipment has arrived. I prefer Jennifer not only because she changes the water but is easier to get a hold of then Julie in my experience. Julie is a few dollars cheaper then Jennifer but the few extra bucks is worth it to me. I haven't heard much about Jesse.

This is something you need once you get your new Betta. Unlike a lfs Betta you need to do this in a dark room. I always close the curtains and turn off all the lights when I unpack new fish.
http://www.luvmybetta.com/

Last edited by Phaydra; 01-24-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote