Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #1 
Indigo Betta

small white bubble spot on chin?

he's had since november 25, and i don't think its changed, he got it when i was near end the of treating his fin rot with aq salt and api stress coat and very big water changes, what do you think this spot it is?

i thought it look like shedded stress coat at first but its been to long to be that hasn't it? its unlikely it can be treating but i'm just wondering,

as long as it does not harm him i don't mind it.
Attached Images

Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #2 
eatmice2010

It could possibly be ich. To help our decisions can you fill this out : http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #3 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
It could possibly be ich. To help our decisions can you fill this out : http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Housing
What size is your tank? 6 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82f
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? nothing but plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets bloodworms mysis daphnia but he used to have tropical fish flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once every morning

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 5 - 6 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tapsafe sometimes stresscoat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
can't test till thursday
Ammonia: n\a
Nitrite:n\a
Nitrate:n\a
pH:n\a
Hardness:n\a
Alkalinity: n\a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes he had finrot
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 01-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #4 
Indigo Betta

if its ich wouldn't there be more than 1 spot by now? after 2 months, i don't want to treat him for ich on unless i am sure.

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 01-22-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #5 
Indigo Betta

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
last tested nov 14 and my kit can't test for Ammonia, can't test again till thursday
Ammonia: n\a
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.2
Hardness:250
Alkalinity: 100
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 
Sakura8

It looks like a small cyst or perhaps the start of lymphocystis. If it's not hindering his ability to eat and if it's not turning red or inflamed, I would keep an eye on it. If it's lymphocystis, that will resolve itself on its own in a few months but if it's a cyst, it may eventually burst. When that happens, it will be an open wound and you'll need to keep the water clean to prevent infection.

It could also be a small tumor; older animals often get benign growths like that. As long as it's not harming him or his ability to live comfortably, no worries.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #7 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
It looks like a small cyst or perhaps the start of lymphocystis. If it's not hindering his ability to eat and if it's not turning red or inflamed, I would keep an eye on it. If it's lymphocystis, that will resolve itself on its own in a few months but if it's a cyst, it may eventually burst. When that happens, it will be an open wound and you'll need to keep the water clean to prevent infection.

It could also be a small tumor; older animals often get benign growths like that. As long as it's not harming him or his ability to live comfortably, no worries.

thanks for looking at my thread Sakura8, my feeling is its a cyst or something like that too, if it was ich there would probably be a lot more of it by now wouldn't there?

if it is ich what would the symptoms be?

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 01-22-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #8 
Sakura8

If it was ich, it would not be quite as raised as that and there would be several on the body and the fins. In really bad cases, they are even on the eyeballs. He would be clamped up and darting and rubbing like crazy.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #9 
Indigo Betta

Unhappy

the only thing giving me doubts about him not having ich now, is he two white spots on his head which he got two days ago and look different to the one on his chin any way, and this morning looked bigger which i find it strange because its so suddenly happened this time it does look like ich to me or could this be slime coat shedding?
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #10 
Sakura8

To be on the safe side, you can treat him with high heat at 86 F and 3 tsps of AQ salt for a week, with frequent water changes. This won't hurt him if he doesn't have ich but if he does, you should see those white dots disappear within the first 24 hours. If they do, then continue with the high heat and salt for another two days and then get him back to his normal water and temp.

But oh, those are live plants, aren't they? You'll have to do this in a hospital tank since live plants don't like AQ salt or high heat and especially don't like the combo.

If the spots stay on after a week's worth of this treatment, then they might be more lymphocystis cysts. Lympho is a virus, almost always nonfatal. Generally, the fish grows these cauliflower-like growths on the body and fins and the disease eventually cures itself within a few months. If the cysts never grow much bigger than what they are now or never start to look cauliflowery, then his case may not have been a very serious one.

The only cause for concern with lympho is if the growths start to impede his ability to eat, like if they grow up over his mouth. There can be cases of secondary bacterial infections if a cyst bursts and gets infected but clean water should prevent that.

He looks good otherwise so whatever he has doesn't seem to be serious yet.