Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #1 
jman828

I've been being a BAD owner!

So since a few (well about 6) months ago, I've been really busy! This year in school has been crazy, and I have a job now so I've been limited for time. Therefore, sometimes I have gone 2-3 1/2 weeks between tank changes in my 10G. So obviously this is not good. However, my levels weren't too terrible. My ammonia and nitrite DID stay at 0ppm and nitrate was 15-20ppm. I was also replacing evaporated water when possible. What can I do to prevent it from going so long without this. I know those levels aren't terribly bad but I do not like waiting more than 1 week between my changes . ***Changes = 25% + vacuum.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #2 
babystarz

Have you considered doing an NPT? It would require fewer water changes. There's an upfront time investment in getting the materials and plants and putting them in the tank, but after that it's quite easy to care for a natural planted tank, and if you don't have time to do weekly water changes, it will be ok with once every two weeks and eventually even less than that.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #3 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Have you considered doing an NPT? It would require fewer water changes. There's an upfront time investment in getting the materials and plants and putting them in the tank, but after that it's quite easy to care for a natural planted tank, and if you don't have time to do weekly water changes, it will be ok with once every two weeks and eventually even less than that.
I've considered it - but thought it would be a lot of work. I do have a Marimo Ball though, not that it makes much of a difference haha.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #4 
callistra

I don't understand your question.. It sounds like you're asking how to keep from going so long without a change.. But that doesn't make sense because its on you.

At this point I would do 2 to 3 back to back 50% changes over the next few days with siphon
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 
BettaPirate

I write everything on a calendar and I am big on daily "to do" lists to make sure that I remember everything. Also a reminder on your phone might help remind you to change the water. I have two small tanks 3 and 2.5 gallon so I have to be diligent about changing them on schedule.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:
My ammonia and nitrite DID stay at 0ppm and nitrate was 15-20ppm.
But your water is fine...Nitrates are good till they reach 40 ppm.

Not all live plants are difficult to take care of or need expensive lights.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaPirate View Post
I write everything on a calendar and I am big on daily "to do" lists to make sure that I remember everything. Also a reminder on your phone might help remind you to change the water. I have two small tanks 3 and 2.5 gallon so I have to be diligent about changing them on schedule.
I've been starting that too. I am going to have more time soon I think. Just the last few months have been hectic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
But your water is fine...Nitrates are good till they reach 40 ppm.

Not all live plants are difficult to take care of or need expensive lights.
Well that's a relief, although I'm still not going to make a habit of waiting that long. I'd rather not worry about plants at the moment, but it is something I might look into down the road!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #8 
nel3

Ive been down the road of missing wc because I haven't been writing down when which one was done. I now have 5 tanks (4 used 1 qt)but started a log a bit over a year ago and only 3 tanks total.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Although, mine's not technically natural planted because I don't have soil, I've had very good luck with the plant bulbs that I got from Wal-Mart. I have a Lilly plant in both tanks and a grass plant in one grass type plant in the other (I can't remember the name - it's hardy something or other). All 3 plants are thriving very well in gravel and do well with the LED lights that came with my tank.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #10 
callistra

There's more in your water you can't test that's the reason behind weekly changes. Even if your ammonia and nitrites stay 0 and your nitrates stay under 20 your fish can still get sick.

More hardy fish can stand up to 40ppm nitrates, but not every fish can and <20ppm is much safer.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote