Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #1 
babbielynn

New Bettas

Hi, im recently new to all this betta business. I recently bought two betta wednesday, one is a crowntail and im not quite sure what the other one is. I woiuld like to get them maybe a little hidey-hole that they can rest in and maybe a snail. How big of a bowl should i put them in? I really am not looking for a tank of any sort, just a bowl.
babbielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #2 
Zule

A bowl really will not cut it, in my opinion. They need heated water and proper filtration, just like any other tropical fish.

I recommend a 2.5 gallon tank for each one. One divided in half isn't very roomy, so try to get one for each of your bettas. Do not put them together. They will fight, and one or both will die from stress and injuries caused by the fighting. They will need heaters, as they are tropical fish. Most 2.5 gallon tanks will come with a filter, which is a must for any fish, whether the fish store says so or not. Also, you should invest in some silk or live plants and other decorations for them to feel secure. Plastic plants will tear their fins.

Good luck with your new bettas, and please consider the tank. Just because they can survive in stagnant water doesn't mean they will thrive and be happy. There is a big difference.
Zule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #3 
King of Candlesticks

Everything Zule said is exactly right. They each need at least a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, so that the water can stay areound 78 degrees.
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote