Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 
JulieK

Sbd?

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading posts for about a week and have learned a lot, although, my fish isn't getting better. At first, I thought he might have SBD and fin rot. I noticed the SBD symptoms about 3-4 weeks ago when he was having trouble swimming, so I fasted him for about a week and fed him a small bit of a cooked pea. Then it looked like his tail shredded overnight (which might be tailbiting?). After reading this forum I treated him for a few days in a QT with 1tsp/gallon of Aquarium Salt. Now he's been in a tank for 4-5 days with 1-2tsps/gallon of Epsom salt with no improvement. I'm not sure what else to do.

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes. A Hydor nonadjustable heater.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets ( but I'm going to get the omega one betta buffet) and a freeze-dried bloodworm once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets every two days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? i was changing it about 50% every month, but (after reading this forum) once he gets better I'm going to do 50% every week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Api stress coat plus (double the dose for the fins)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I did when he first got sick and the people at petco said everything was fine. Since then I've been changing the water every couple days.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail (which was healing from rot/ADF biting) was shredded overnight

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's lethargic with clamped fins and scared of everything. He's either on the top head up or on the bottom head down and breathing heavily. He also darts around the tank then usually settles on the bottom.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 3 weeks ago.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I fasted him for a week, did a 100% water change, added 1tsp of aquarium salt/gallon, and fed him part of a pea. When that didn't help I transferred him to a quarantine tank and did 100% water changes for a few days with aquarium salt. Then I learned he needs Epsom salt for SBD and have been treating him with that for four days.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
I previously kept him with an ADF (bad idea) and the frog chewed at him so he started losing his tail. I treated him with aquarium salt and stress coat and he seemed fine.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in May of last year so maybe between 1-2 years.

This is what he looked like when I first got him

And this is what he looks like now:

Attached Images

JulieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #2 
callistra

Test your sponge bob ornament using a strong magnet and see if it attaches.. various forum members have found it contains metal on the inside and have found it to be rusting and harming their fish.

Looks to me like your guy has advanced fin rot. He does look like he may be a little constipated, but not too bad to me.

A tank of this size needs two water changes weekly - 50% and 100%. The lack of water changes is definitely the main cause, if not entirely the cause. Most people will tell you that you cannot cycle a tank of this size and it will always require these changes. Others will say a twice weekly 50% with gravel cleaning by small siphon or stir/dip method (not taking water off the top) is ok but cycling can take up to 2 months and may never establish. Any time you want to do less than 100% weekly changes you should own a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You should test daily for a couple weeks and if you are seeing any ammonia or nitrite show up then you know even the twice weekly 50% are not enough. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0. Nitrates should stay <20ppm.

He should be fed two small meals daily, except one meal a week you can supplement a blood worm and one day a week he should fast. 3 pellets a day of this size should be ok. Anything freeze dried should be presoaked for 10minutes in a cup with some conditioned water.

At this point I would do a series of 2-3 50% changes including stir/dip method (stir up the gravel to get the debris into the water then remove 50% of the water and as much of the debris as you can) to get water quality back under control.

He may need to be treated with actual antibiotics for a week or two at this point.. I would.. use Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or Furan 2, which will need to be diluted for the size of the QT you use. In the QT I would do daily 100% water changes with same temp water and acclimate each time by floating in a plastic cup and adding a few tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes for an hour before releasing back in.

What color is his poop?

Last edited by callistra; 01-26-2013 at 02:49 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 
JulieK

Would the fin rot explain his behavior? I'm going to see about ordering one of those meds. Is there one in particular you suggest over the other 2? Do you know which website sells the cheapest? When he gets better I'll start doing the suggested water changes. Right now I'm doing 100% in the QT. I'll let you know about the poop, I haven't seen any in awhile. Thanks for all the info!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 
callistra

Fin rot is a bacterial infection, so whatever bacteria is causing the rot could cause other issues.

Have you been able to test the spongebob thing for metal?

If he's not pooping and you are feeding he is constipated. I would fast until you see poop - shouldn't be more than a few days. Use epsom salts 100% pure magnesium sulfate - no dyes perfumes or additives of any kind. Predissolve at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon and add slowly over an hour to avoid shock. You can use this along with antibiotics.

I like Kanaplex best, personally. Can you not find anything locally? Furan 2 is an API med.. Maracyn Plus is ususally easy to find as well.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 
JulieK

I tested the spongebob thing but nothing happened. I'm going to check around. It's kinda sad, I actually work at a Petco (in the grooming section not in the store) but it's the smallest Petco in the entire world and they don't have much there. Whenever I talk about my betta they all recommend bettafix, which I know is harmful. I've tried to find stuff there but can't. I'll check other Petcos and Petsmart and call a few local petshops.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #6 
callistra

Yeah Petco doesn't contain any real meds, unfortunately so if that is the only fish supply store you have around you'll have to order meds online. You can use salt in the meantime.

This is the thread that was made in response to several reports of rust found on the ornament: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=1406839 don't know if it might be helpful.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #7 
JulieK

I bought Kanaplex online. Going to do 100% water changes each day with AQ til it comes. If you didn't see on the other topic, I DID find metal in the pineapple. Thanks for you help! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 
callistra

Sorry about the ornament :( For whatever it's worth, the info is on its way to corporate so hopefully they will stop making it this way.

For the chemical poisoning I would actually use epsom salts and not aquarium salt. It also has mild antifungal/antibacterial properties as well. This is also needed for the constipation issues and the aq won't help that.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #9 
JulieK

Oh, ok. I was going to do the AQ to help with the fin rot until the kanaplex gets here, but if you think i should do epsom salt i can do that instead.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

AQ salt will make his buoyancy issues worse.... Epsom salt acts as a laxative, and will help relieve any bloating or constipation that could be causing his buoyancy issues. And it also has some antibacterial/antifungal properties, so it would be useful for the fin rot, too.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote