Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 
Kiwi03

Giupetto is sick again :(

A few weeks ago I got Giupetto. He is a red and white HM. He was fine for a couple of days then his fins got all clamped. I treated with maracide and now he looks beautiful. His fins are now healing nicely. However, yesterday he was hiding in his house. He likes to eat at nighttime and wouldn't come up to eat. I moved his house so I could check on him and he did swim up to the top but won't eat. Then I noticed he was sitting with his head facing the gravel with his body up in the air. He was also breathing heavy.

Tank is 2.5 gallons with a tetra whisper filter.

He has a heater which is at 80 degrees.

He has not other tank mates, just some live plants.

I was putting aquarium salt in his tank every other day.

What is wrong with Giupetto?? What do I need to treat him with?
Kiwi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #2 
tnvol

I would start by testing your water..
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #3 
shawnee

salt evry other day holy crap there your prob u need 2 do a 1/2 water change asap that salt does not evap so ur slaity is very high that is your problems betas do not need or like salt salt if at all should be added only at water changes
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #4 
breeglet

To clarify Shawnee, AQ salt is something you add if you suspect an external infection of some kind, and it is one dose added with a 100% water change. If you are adding it every other day it would either need to be with a 100% water change, or a dose that is proportionately adjusted to the amount of water change performed after an initial dose (like a normal 2.5gal dose initially, then a proportionate dose for every water change thereafter). AQ salt is also bad for live plants.

Test your water and check the stickied threads about diseases to get an idea of things to look for in Giupetto. Posting pictures wouldn't be a bad idea either. Don't rush to treat until you get a second opinion, imo.
breeglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #5 
Stone

Do a water change, bettas only need salt if they have finrot or open wound and the like, and you should only add salt at water changes otherwise the salt level gets higher and higher and becomes toxic to the fish
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #6 
Kiwi03

I was only adding salt with the water changes I was doing every other day. The reason why I was adding salt was because Giupetto was sick. He had clamped fins which I treated with maracide. I was using the salt to help his fins grow back. I was changing 25% of the water and adding salt for a 2.5 gallon tank. Maybe since I was only changing 25% of the water I was adding too much salt. I will do a 100% water change tonight after testing my water if a water change is warranted.

If my water tests fine, what should I do?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 
breeglet

You should try giving a more thorough explanation. Here is a questionnaire that usually helps people give a better diagnosis.

Do a 100% water change immediately because of the AQ salt. Water parameters are a moot point on this issue because of the salt. See if the water change helps him perk up. If not, then test water. If parameters are fine, start looking for other signs of illnesses outlined here and here. Shine a flashlight on Giupetto and see if any odd films, patches, or lesions become visible. Though most likely it was the AQ salt or stress.
breeglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #8 
shawnee

salt

im still on the ify side with salt i mean yes if he was sick in the first place there ur awnser salt with beats i think is only for exterme situations.
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 
Kiwi03

Giupetto has died :( I got home from work and he has already passed on... :(
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #10 
USNavyWife

Sorry for your loss :(((
USNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote