Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #1 
shawnee

Exclamation Culling def need help

just throwing it out there to amke sure my defintion is right culling is when u see a "defeftive" fish you kill it for the beter because it woont have a nice life can some one confirm or deny my deftion
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #2 
aemaki09

That's the correct definition in a sense.

The word culling means "to kill/put down" you should always cull a fish that has a defect that is detrimental to them leading a good life.
But, most good breeders will cull just to get their numbers down so they only have good quality ones left and don't have to sell to petstores.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

+1 to Aemaki

Some breeders cull their less than desirable fish as well not just the sickly ones. Better to care for 50 great quality fish than 200 iffy fish and 50 great quality fish where your great quality fish may not get the care and time they need because overall you have 250 fish to care for. Normally wrong tail types you are breeding for get culled, say you are breeding halfmoons and get delta's, the delta's go, maybe you are breeding for certain colors, perhaps the fry with poor coloring will also go, the tiny fry who are behind everyone else or runts might go as well.

But the basics are fry with bent spines, fry who have trouble swimming, fry with physical deformities like missing fins or eyes. Those are the first things you would want to cull.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #4 
shawnee

thanks of course im such a wimp culling will be quite hard for me but what has to be done is done ey?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Easiest way to cull is feeding to large fish, that way YOU don't directly have to kill the babies. Even if you don't have a large fish yourself you can try and find friends who do. People will not say no to free or cheap food if you do. Plus it's more natural and the culls don't go to 'waste'. It would have happened in the wild so really you are not killing the babies so much and following mother natures laws of survival of the fittest. I personally have a friend who keeps larger fresh water fish and I'll be giving all my culls to her. When seeing it that way it's less of killing fry and more of feeding other beautiful fish who have ever right to be alive as my betta's do.

If that helps you in your future culling.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Deformities are especially the main culling... However, depending on the type bred (like my doubletail spawn will be heavily culled), culling may be used for terms of finnage, or amount of fish that resulted from the spawn... I agree with feeding to other fish. I do it. It is not cruel, it's literally the way of life. I don't think mother nature says "aww poor weak deformed fry, let's keep 'em!" It is all survival of the fittest ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

It is necessary to cull babies that are deformed so badly that they can't lead a quality life as a pet. I have 3 *culls* that came from breeders that wanted to give them a good life. Two are brothers and there's really nothing wrong except they don't meet show standards and breeding qualities. The other one has chronic swimbladder issues. They're wonderful lpets and I'm so grateful to have them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #8 
shawnee

tanks i do have some chiclids so i gues ill do that i mean true it is the way of life.