Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #1 
Myates

Breeding VTs...

I have been seeing more and more people telling new breeders not to breed VTs.

If I may ask.. warn them that at this current time they aren't as popular and may take a bit longer to sell in the US, but that it is still just fine to breed them if one wishes. I have seen a few people outright tell people don't do it. That isn't fair.. if this person is willing to spend the hours a day, the hundreds of dollars to breed a fish they love.. then lets support them rather than tell them NO. We aren't here to deter people from doing something they want to do.

VTs are making some comeback due to the fact they are now incorporating certain traits in them such as dragonscale, etc. If someone is wanting to bring in some unique colors and patterns into VTs then that is great and people will purchase them for the same price as a good HM.

In the US (as other countries still love VTs, breed them and show them) they started getting ignored by breeders/showers because they were so commonplace in stores and breeders couldn't compete with the prices you find at places such as Walmart. So they came up with other fin types, etc to show and sell. Now those too are very popular and commonplace and no longer "special".

Many breeders want to breed quality VTs and show them once more - and some people are working on that with the IBC. VTs aren't any less of a fish because of the fin type - and breeders know that.. people who show bettas know that. But demand is for the other fin types, which is what caused the demise of VT breeding. The ones who made VTs "not desirable" are in fact people who just purchase bettas for pets, and people telling others they aren't worth it, not to breed, etc.

So please.. let people breed whatever type they wish to. There is nothing wrong with VTs, and if some people get their way in the IBC, they will be showing VTs once more and the demand for them among people in the business will go up.

This is all just my opinion/view on this subject.. I have warned people that it may be a bit harder to sell the average VT, but in the end, it's their choice and if others tell them not to, then they may not end up breeding at all. I am actually considering getting some quality female VTs and breeding dragonscale into them down the road as I have felt "forced" to breed HMs due to people in the mindset that the VTs aren't "worth anything". And if they are allowed to be shown in the IBC, I will be breeding them in a heartbeat.

Show a little love for VTs and support the breeders who want to help make these little guys have a nice comeback :)

Last edited by Myates; 01-21-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 
mellcrowl

Agreed! I personally love VT and if I saw a dragonscale or butterfly VT pair, I'd snatch them up in seconds :)
mellcrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 
homegrown terror

my only problem with VT's stems from the fact that they HAVE been ignored by serious breeders, and hence we get a population mostly composed of puppy-milled, unhealthy fish that seem overwhelmingly to fall into the drab blue-and-red mishmash of fish we've seen a million times. if more serious breeders who produce high-quality VT's either intentionally or by simply not culling the VT's out of their HM and CT spawns, the more credibility the tail type will have on the show circuit, and the more "worthwhile" the breed will become. it's sad that an entire class of fish is poo-pooed simply for reasons of fashion.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #4 
Myates

The other fin types are now starting to fall into the "fishy mills" category too.. they still produce the VTs for stores such as Walmart, but they see the popularity of the other styles and are now starting to get them out there just like the VTs.. people want a certain type, those types will be mass produced and lower quality just the same.

A lot of serious breeders do want to breed VT, but it largely falls on the consumer - can breed some awesome VTs, but because it's a red or a blue, then, as you said, no one will buy it because it's a red.. a blue.. it's that mentality that keeps VTs on the poor side. If people understood the characteristics of a VT, and appreciated what they could be.. then they wouldn't be "drab", but instead a really pretty dalmation, a vivid red, etc. It's the mindset that some have in saying they can't be as pretty, or they aren't as pretty.
HMs, CT, DT, etc can and do fall into that category of unhealthy mishmash.. it's how they are kept, both at stores and with the majority of betta owners. VTs aren't unhealthier than an HM - they all start out the same.. it's the fact people are picking other variations over VTs that are leaving the VTs longer in the stores and therefor becoming sickly. Also many people associate droopy fins with being sickly, especially people new to the hobby as they are seeing the other types all big and full.
Some breeders will go where the money is.. so hey, someone willing to spend $20 on this one red HM then I'm breeding it.. nevermind this red VT that is exactly alike other than fin type I have bred.. they will only pay $4 for that.

They have credibility on most show circuits outside of the US, they are allowed in shows other than the IBC, which hopefully that changes this coming summer.
But you are correct, it's sad how they had fallen down in status for no reason other than they were more readily available.

Last edited by Myates; 01-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I have limited experience as a fish owner, and I'm not a breeder.... but my two VTs have had fewer health issues than my HMs. They're also larger. (And they don't bite their tails!)

I would *love* to have a butterfly or multicolor VT.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #6 
Luimeril

i've a VT who bites his tail. it's not just an HM thing. x:

i agree with the whole fish-mill problem. if you can find a pair that is from a place that sells healthy veils, and if you can find homes for all the little babies, go for it.

my own local pet store gets their bettas from a breeder(not a company), so i see many unique colors in veils. i have an almost black veil, i've had yellow, marble, dal, i've a red-orange boy. then, there was the GREEN CT. not turquoise, outright GREEN. something i've only seen in photoshopped pictures. and, they've never had tumors or hunch-back/spoon-head, nor other issues most mill-fish seem to have. so, i'd feel okay with breeding veils from there. walmart? nah. petsmart? nope. *maybe* Pet-co...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I really want to breed nicer VTs but that would mean buying pet store fish and I'm done with that. It's not pet store fish I'm against it's the farms. They mass produce and diseases are always getting passed through to fish and then to fish room.

If Aquastar sells pairs of his amazing VTs I'll buy those.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I prefer other tail types but I've had some pretty veiltails like my peach colored dalmatian.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #9 
Sagat

I've been looking for the perfect marble dragonscale VT for awhile now and have had such poor luck I started getting desperate ideas of breeding VTs myself.

If there are real breeders who are interested in breeding VTs, I'll happily support them by buying as many bettas as I can.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #10 
Cole mccallister
Banned

is it commen for a vt veiltail to have a heart shaped veil in full bloom
Cole mccallister is offline   Reply With Quote