Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 
kngiraffe

Exclamation Advice and suggestions please !!!!!

poor little shooter is all clamped up and not looking too well, i'm not sure what it is or what's wrong. I'm just hoping he makes it through the night.
this reaaally sucks. thsi shouldn’t be happening…i just got him last friday!!! ))): </3

I just got him last Friday. Put him in a 5 gallon on Sunday. Had to move it Monday due to it being so cold here. My heaters wouldn't get over 72 degrees so I got a new adjustable one yesterday and that's when I came home and found him all clamped. Idk if he's stressed with his new home or if he's tired or cold. He doesn't use his plants or hammock or the clay flower pot I got him.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?! ):

I'm getting aquarium salt tonight to hopefully help the stress. Any more ideas
kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #2 
tnvol

Is the new tank cycled? I would test your water for ammonia. Make sure he is warm. Did the new heater warm the tank up to 80 degrees? Is he eating well?
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #3 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
Is the new tank cycled? I would test your water for ammonia. Make sure he is warm. Did the new heater warm the tank up to 80 degrees? Is he eating well?

No. It's been used before by another betta but that was months ago and it wa never cycled for him either because it was used before him two different times. But I plan on getting a moss ball or a plant today to maybe help cheer shooter up. I'll have to get tester strips then. I just use spring water out of a jug that I buy at the store. He is warm. The water is somewhere around 78/79ish to 80. And when I turned off my lights last night and was using my iPods flash as a light but with my cases cover over it so it made a red light he was swimming all over the place. But still clamped. I haven't fed him since I saw the clamped fins. When I have fed him I've been giving him little pieces of flakes like two or three just bc I just got him and I'm not sure how much they fed him. But when I've fed him he's ate like my old betta did.

It's just freaking me out and idk what else to do. I just got him less than a week ago and idk what's wrong besides the temperature which I've been trying to fix since Monday. But with it being 9 or so degrees outside hasn't helped at alll
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #4 
kngiraffe

http://weownedthattown.tumblr.com/po...was-last-night

If you go there there's a comparison pic
Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #5 
mushumouse

looking at your other thread it seems like you just put the new heater in and turned it up to 80 straight away when it was 74? because i think you're not supposed to do that... and that temperature changes that large happening quickly can shock the fish? idk what to do about it if that's the problem, it would probably be worse to turn it down again. :( maybe conditioning the water with stress coat might help.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #6 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushumouse View Post
looking at your other thread it seems like you just put the new heater in and turned it up to 80 straight away when it was 74? because i think you're not supposed to do that... and that temperature changes that large happening quickly can shock the fish? idk what to do about it if that's the problem, it would probably be worse to turn it down again. :( maybe conditioning the water with stress coat might help.
Before I even put the adjustable one in he was clamped. And it was 72-74 before I even put the new one in so it gradually got warmer with him in there
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

doube posted for some reason

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-24-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

Hmmm....
I suggest trying a water change and see if that perks him up any. Maybe something about the water itself is making him unhappy - not necissarly ammonia but maybe something that was on your hand or decor.

behavior changes?

Another idea is - how much decor does he have? Maybe he needs more hiding places - like tall bushy silk plants.

EDIT:

Quote:
I just use spring water out of a jug that I buy at the store
This might be the problem. tap water has minerals and stuff the fish needs - bottled water may not have it and distilled water is worse. As long as you use some kind of water conditioner - tap water will be fine. Any conditioner will do - prime, stress coat, betta bowl plus there are many to choose from.

and you do not have to cyle a 5G but if you add in a filter it will cycle - be sure to keep up with water changes if you do a fish in cycle.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-24-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushumouse View Post
looking at your other thread it seems like you just put the new heater in and turned it up to 80 straight away when it was 74? because i think you're not supposed to do that... and that temperature changes that large happening quickly can shock the fish? idk what to do about it if that's the problem, it would probably be worse to turn it down again..
It takes a 5 gallon tank a loooooong time to heat up to the temp you set your heater at- like at least a few hours. So I don't think that could have shocked him.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #10 
tnvol

At this point I would just test your water and make sure it's clean. Lot's can be fixed with warm, clean water. I've seen them perk right up after a water change.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote