Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #1 
hannah16

Toothless isn't eating

He is in a 1 Gallon, 79* water. His tail is slowly healing from his tail biting during shipping. He barely eats, maybe once a week? I can't get him to eat the pellets or blood worms no matter how much I offer it. Is there anything else I can try??

I'm worried about losing him.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 
Stone

At petsmart/petco there is a betta treat food thing dial a treat it has 3 diffrent things in it, or see if they have frozen brine shrimp or blood worms.If he was from thailand he is probably used to eating micro worms or vinagar eels and just being a picky eater. The only other thing I can think of asking is does he look bloated?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 
tnvol

Frozen brine shrimp are like candy to my bettas. Try that. If he is hungry, he should eat them. How long have you had him? Could he still be getting used to his new surroundings? I think a lot of people underestimate the stress fish are under during shipping. It can take a few days for them to start eating normally after bringing them home in a bag from a LFS. 2-3 days in a bag is another story.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
Frozen brine shrimp are like candy to my bettas. Try that. If he is hungry, he should eat them. How long have you had him? Could he still be getting used to his new surroundings? I think a lot of people underestimate the stress fish are under during shipping. It can take a few days for them to start eating normally after bringing them home in a bag from a LFS. 2-3 days in a bag is another story.
Toothless came in from Austin Texas, I'm in Houston. I've had him for... 2-3 weeks I think? It's about that time. He was eating just fine, fully adjusted, he was doing so well, his tail is healing. I mean, even RIGHT now he is swimming and acting fine but he looks thinner .. I offer food twice a day and maybe he'll eat one feeding once a week maybe twice a week. I don't know what else to do. I've given pellets and blood worms and he won't eat either of them.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #5 
tnvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
Toothless came in from Austin Texas, I'm in Houston. I've had him for... 2-3 weeks I think? It's about that time. He was eating just fine, fully adjusted, he was doing so well, his tail is healing. I mean, even RIGHT now he is swimming and acting fine but he looks thinner .. I offer food twice a day and maybe he'll eat one feeding once a week maybe twice a week. I don't know what else to do. I've given pellets and blood worms and he won't eat either of them.
2-3 weeks is def long enough to get used to his new home. I would test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. Make sure he is at the right temperature. Warm, clean water makes a huge difference in the general all around health of your betta. If your water and temp are good, maybe he just doesn't like what you are feeding him. lol
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 
shawnee

id recomend something lieve such as brine shrimp or bllod worm thats alive not frozen it may stimulate his urge to eat also though in a cheap plant so he can nip at if he wants but he should come aroud u medicating the tank?
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #7 
callistra

So he was fine and has gone downhill? More info needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also photos might be helpful.

What color is his poop? Is he pooping daily?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #8 
LeoTheLakerBetta

1 gallons is pretty small and especially if there is no filter, ammonia can build up pretty fast. When I had one of my bettas in a 1 gallon, I would have to clean it 3 times a week just to get 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It was a little too much work for me with my other tanks (+ school) so I just upgraded him to the 2.5 I already had, and move the guy in the 2.5 to a 5 gallon. The cleaning schedule is a lot easier to get used to.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote