Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #21 
Kytkattin

I don't breed, but if I do get the reason behind culling. I think it would be easier to do when they are small and can easily be fed to something else. I think that culling once they are fully grown would be harder, especially if it was for something like the fish not having a full spread or not enough rays. Though I also realize that it is a fish eat fish world in nature. When you think of it that way, and when you think of all the fish dying in cups at Petco, Petsmart, Walmart, the various dollar stores, in people's homes and offices in vases, or simply flushed live down the toilet because someone got bored with it, culling is definitely the most humane option.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #22 
eatmice2010

Well my July is a feather tail:

I was hoping to breed him for his cute babies and keep them as pets, and probably give a couple to some of my friend(non betta addicts). Because of him having the feather, would he have been culled and is breeding him a bad idea. (i don't want to show him, so don't speak of it it lol)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #23 
LadyVictorian

Well breeding him only to keep some for pets and give a few others to friends means you would have to cull most of his babies or give them to a petshop which really is just as bad as culling them anyways. I would say if you just want more pets rescue betta's rather than make more. Too many betta are dying in petshops as is, wouldn't they want a home more? Don't they deserve one? I don't feel people should breed unless it's to show, if they want to breed to just have more pets then buy the fish who need homes. Otherwise you are just adding to the fish suffering in stores.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

Isn't feather tail just a more extreme version of rosetail? Bad idea to spawn him if he truly is a feather tail. I don't know much about counting rays or what is considered excessive branching so can't help you there.

However, look up 'x-factor' fish. This can be the sad result of using RT stock for breeding. A couple of people have said that there is a high cull rate in RT spawns. Plus it can take a long time to get the effects of that out of a line.

Honestly, I don't see the point in breeding for 'pet' fish. There are so many out there already in the tanks of breeders or languishing on store shelves that there is really no need.

Your male's fins are way too messy for me to think he is breeding quality.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #25 
LadyVictorian

+1
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #26 
trilobite

The reason people cull is to prevent those fish from being bred, so no, you should never breed it.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #27 
eatmice2010

Ok i did some research that i obviously needed because yall were scaring me thinking my fish is some kind of diabolical creature. Ok, so he is not a (ROSE TAIL). (ROSE TAIL) where the rays over lap making a flower look. He is not a ( X-FACTOR) either. (X-FACTOR) consist of the fish having poor scales, shorter ventrals, and collapsing fins. He also is not an (FEATHER). (FEATHERING) where the branching extends from the top and the bottom of the ray, making more than 8 rays, creating a feather-like look.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

He's still not breeding quality and unless you have a spectacular female, what would be the point of breeding him only to cull down the numbers for a handful of pets and giveaways?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #29 
LadyVictorian

+1

I still say in that situation it's better to save other suffering fish in the store. If you were breeding seriously long term with goals and maybe the idea to show then I could see breeding as an option but it seems you only want more pets...more pets...stores are overflowing with dying betta who need a home. It's like a person breeding their dog to own puppies while hundreds of dogs are put down in shelters every day. Why?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #30 
eatmice2010

YEA I NO HE IS NOT BREEDING WORTHY, But i want to know why besides his extended rays and bent rays. And I do not what to breed him any more i was planning to because i thought he was the most amazing betta in the world because of his deformities, but yall change that whole feeling. I feel like im two faced now, when im away from this forum and im looking at him, hes cute, adorable and my little baby that i saved from a harsh life. But when im on this site reading yalls post i feel he is a monstrosity and never should have been born.