Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #1 
heavenlolwut

Smile Heater and Food questions!

Okay! So i have a 2.5 gallon tank and I'm looking for a new heater for it. I'm looking for one that is adjustable, and one that is going to fit comfortably in the 2.5 gallon tank. I've had heaters suggested however I'm so afraid of them breaking or malfunctioning. I thought if I asked here I'd be a little more comfortable with the suggestions.

Also suggestions for food to feed my little guy. I currently feed him the food at like pets smart but I want to get him something better. I also want to get him something that may help his colors some. :]
Suggest away!
heavenlolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

May I suggest a bigger tank? A 2.5 is fine, but quite difficult to heat. Is it filtered? For food, I would suggest new life spectrum. It is very high quality and should color him up.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

A 2.5 isn't all that hard to heat. An adjustable 25 watt heater will work just fine. I can't recommend any good brands though. I can't remember the one I have, but I have had it for years now and it works perfectly in my 2 gallon tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #4 
heavenlolwut

I want to get a bigger tank but for now it's not really that do-able but i do want to work on getting him a new heater because he isn't a big fan of his current one.

I'll start to look up some adjustable 25watt heaters and see what I can find.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #5 
bettaisbetter

A 2.5G is okay, it's considered minimum to most. As long as you do your water changes your fish should be just fine. I like Hydor THEOs, Visi-Therms, and Jager heaters. All heaters listed are adjustable.

New Life Soectrum are the best pellets known in stores. Golden Pearl, Omega One, and Attison's Betta Pro are great, too. The Betta Pro is discontinued but some people have it.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #6 
heavenlolwut

I do a few 50% changes during the week and then a 100% change at least once a week. He normally is a pretty happy fellow but while I'm in my dorm he's not as happy and I'mpretty sure it's because it's a little cooler then he would like
I'm thinking of this one
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-AHY00322.../dp/B0006JLPG8
:] I am thinking of upgrading soon once I'm in an apartment to a 5gallon but for now I want him to be happy.
And I'll look into the New life Spectrum too
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #7 
heavenlolwut

Also thinking about that heater because it sounds like it'll heat a 5gallon as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #8 
bettaisbetter

I heard here that a member ordered the Hydor from amazon and there was something wrong... I bought mine at eBay and it was perfectly a okay. Do you see what country this was made in? Italy should be where it's made. Otherwise, I would buy it on eBay if you have an account.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #9 
Otterfun

People suggested EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 25Wbecause it is German made. I use Aqueon 50W for my 2.5g and transferred it to my 5.5g now. It is pretty reliable (turns on or off when it is more than 1F either way) but costs more than EJA.

Food:
My Fred enjoys New Life Science (NLS) and Omega One (OO) as regular meals. They have a lot of protein meat in their major ingredients and not a lot of flour, wheat meal fillers. NLS has some veg. which OO does not have, I think. But then, not sure if the galic, though supposed to enhance the taste in NLS will cause gas.... just thinking in human terms.

I also feed him Hikari freeze dried Daphnia and Brine Shrimp every now and then as treats but they are messy to feed.

Also, he nips at the bottom feeder algae biscuit that I have for my amano shrimps. He spits it out but will eat if he is starving.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #10 
heavenlolwut

I'll also look into NLS and OO. :]
And those other heaters too.
I've heard so many mixed things about heaters I'm pretty nervous when it comes to figuring something out. XD