Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #1 
Tabbie82

Hi!

Hello everyone! Just want to introduce myself and my fish. I have four betta fish right now. Two of them have been with me for a little over a year now, one for about six months and my newest one came home with me on Sunday. I've kept bettas on and off since I was a child, but this last year of having them has been a joy and really lit a fire in me for these beautiful guys. I love taking care of them and seeing them happy. Each one has a different personality and character. I have used this forum for a long time to look up information and thought it was finally time to join. My fish are not very photogenic. I hope to have better pictures soon. I just recently started delving into live plants and hope to someday have an all-natural, planted tank!

The first picture is of Maui. He is a veiltail, black around his head, but mostly blue with red on his fins. I keep him in a 5 gallon tank. I would guess he's about a year and a half. I have had him for a year and one month. I got him from the Pet Supermarket. We've had our ups and downs- I call him my problem fish, but he is one of my favorites. I suppose because I've had him the longest.

The second picture is Feng. He's also a veiltail, and is mostly that pale blue color, with a little red in his fins. He is in a 5 gallon, and is about two years old. I found Feng at a local fish store and had to have him. He is so beautiful. He had been at the store for at least six months. He's old now and half blind, so I have to hand feed him.

The third is Puddles. I got him from Pet Smart. The label on his cup said he is a dragon scale. Honestly, I don't know what he is. A plakat of some sort? Right now he lives in a 3 gallon. I think he is one of the smartest fish. He is a jumper, though, so I have watch that when I feed him. I've had him about 6 months. His coloring has changed a little since I brought him home, he used to have more white on him.

The last one is my newest addition, a wonderful black orchid crowntail. I found him at a local fish store this past weekend and just knew he was coming home with me. I've wanted a crowntail for awhile now. I have decided to name him Dagger. He was a little shy at first, but he's coming out of his shell. I have him in a ten gallon and I think he doesn't know yet what to do with all the space, coming from a small vase!
Attached Images

Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Wondering if your second boy is a dragonscale? Can't tell in the picture :3 Only wondering since over his eyes it looks like a typical dragonscale growth, where the scales go over the eyes.

Third is a Dragonscale butterfly, plakat. May be delta by the look of the spread, so probably from a HMPK line.

All are very nice fish :3

And welcome to the forum.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #3 
Tabbie82

I'm not sure. He may be. I understand dragon scale bettas have a tendency to not only have the scales go over their eyes, but also grow tumors? As Feng has gotten older, the blue scales seem to be covering his eyes and he cannot see well. In the last week or so, he has developed a lump on the right side of his face, not near his gills, but closer to his eye. From what I can tell from the research I have done, this lump may be a tumor. :( It doesn't seem to bother him. He swims fine and is eating. I just don't know what to do if it is a tumor. What I've read says there isn't anything to do...
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #4 
Tabbie82

Oh, and thank you for the welcome, Sena! Everyone seems super nice and I am excited to be part of the community!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well, if you post a picture of his "growth" we can probably determine it for you :3 It does happen... But your fella is over 2 now, which is pretty good. As long as the tumor does not cause problems he'll be fine :)
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #7 
Tabbie82

Thanks OldFishLady! Very lovely to meet you! Sena, I will try to get a picture of Feng's growth and post it soon. It seems to be getting bigger, but he's not at all bothered by it.