Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #1 
MidgetMan

New/Old Betta Owner

Hello out there! My Name is Russ, but everyone on base calls me midget. Stationed in the state of MS. I ended up rescuing a couple of Betta's from a petsmart. (Going through bouts of Depression, it was suggested by my therapist to get a pet. And the only thing we are allowed to have are fish with 1.5 Gallon Tanks in the Barracks.) I started out with Luna and love him to death, while Blooddrop was an Impulse/Rescue since he was the most active in his cup.

Once I can finally leave the Barracks, I am planning on upgrading to a 10 Gallon with a separator. But sadly for now they are both in live plant tanks that are cleaned 2-3x a week to make sure they stay healthy.
MidgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #2 
Aleu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetMan View Post
Hello out there! My Name is Russ, but everyone on base calls me midget. Stationed in the state of MS. I ended up rescuing a couple of Betta's from a petsmart. (Going through bouts of Depression, it was suggested by my therapist to get a pet. And the only thing we are allowed to have are fish with 1.5 Gallon Tanks in the Barracks.) I started out with Luna and love him to death, while Blooddrop was an Impulse/Rescue since he was the most active in his cup.

Once I can finally leave the Barracks, I am planning on upgrading to a 10 Gallon with a separator. But sadly for now they are both in live plant tanks that are cleaned 2-3x a week to make sure they stay healthy.
Hi russ! Or midget. Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your depression. Ive been there too and pets really do help (not military related, but i have ptsd and my pets really help me). You picked the right rish because bettas really do seem to have personalities and they are so pretty its theraputic. :) I dont have live planted tanks so I cannot comment on that but I hear lots of good things about them. Sounds like they have a nice life still and im sure they will love their new condo once you move off the barracks.

We love pictures of bettas here if you want to share your lovely bettas with the world. :D
Aleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #3 
MidgetMan

Pictures of my baby boys

Luna:

BloodDrop:

(Thier home on my Bookshelf)

Came out a lot blurrier than expected
Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 
Aleu

Love the tanks! Haha love the litte hut luna is in. Tbey are both very vibrant and pretty!
Aleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #5 
MidgetMan

Luna always hides in that thing, He so passive, I actually seen him run away from his own shadow. BloodDrop I have only had for a couple of days so I don't his personality type, and he always flares up when I am walking by. Actually he pretty much Flares at everything, Flares at his food, flares at his reflection, Flares at some mini figures I have of My Little Pony.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #6 
itsuki

welcome to the boards, cool tifa statue btw :) im a FF fan myself. ill do an intro thread for myself later on tonight, check it out when u can
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #7 
valen1014

They both look great! Sounds like BloodDrop is a feisty little guy =]
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #8 
MidgetMan

Feisty doesn't describe it, their tanks were closer back when I first got him, Till I noticed he was flaring at Luna everytime he was passing Scaring Luna so much making him hide in his hut, Even though he is the bigger One O_o;;. Little Guy was seen trying to ram the side of the tank trying to get to him.

So it was better just putting him on the opposite side with Knick nacks blocking their view from each other. When I get the ten Gallon, I am going to find a Separator that they can't see through.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Welcome & thank you for your service. While I advocate bigger tanks, yours will do good with the care you're giving them. Do they have heaters? If the water temp is right they're even more active. Hope they help your depression. You might even get some chuckles from this forum!
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #10 
MidgetMan

Sadly That is one thing On the list Of what I need to buy, but the petsmart here only sells the bigger tank heaters, and the Wal-Mart doesn't even have a fish section x_x; Their tanks I know are at a constant 78, Buts mostly thanks to the lights that are during the day. Should really check online and find some for them.