Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #1 
Indigo Betta

Angry Pets at Home are cruel to bettas

I used to trust them but now I donít

They are not as kind to pets as they say they are, I donít know if they abuse the other fish but they definitely abuse the bettas they keep them in tiny 1 gallon tanks with a really powerful filter so the poor things canít even move or get to the top for air and today when I went to their store i saw one that looked like it had died from exhaustion poor thing I found it a upsetting sight and the other bettas looked exhausted too, I wish I could get them to just turn those powerful filters off in the betta tank but there is no way

What makes it worst is that pets at home nag you about how to look after your betta when you buy one, even though they either know nothing about them or just donít care about their fish

they are hypocrites
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

:/ The world is full of hypocrites I guess. I've never heard of this Pets at Home. But then again I'm kind of glad I haven't seen one. It's always heart-breaking to see those poor bettas like that. One of my local fish stores has bettas in little glass vases that look like they are for candles. I've seen them at the dollar store and they are about the size of a cup. Anyways this store looks as though it hardly even looks at the poor guys because their water is a greenish-brown and really cloudy. It just looks awful. I haven't gone into that store since, and I probably won't again.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #3 
Indigo Betta

yeah almost all pet shops don't really care about their animals they only care about money pets at home is no different its definitely not the place where pets come first its the place where money comes first, sorry i'm ranting.

Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #4 
Luimeril

that's better than how they're kept here. 8U small cups, sometimes they never get water changes. or jars. or bowls. that are smaller than a gallon. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You are in the UK? You can report that you know, good chance that someone will look into it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #6 
stagmanv835

There has already been a TV exposeure program about them

I have 3 of there stores near me , 2 are mostly o.k & i have bought betta females and gouramis , but onley after going in to watch them for 5 mins every day for nearly a week !

the other store always has dead fish in most tanks somtime 3 or 4 fish floating or half eaten, even seen expensive large fantailed goldfish dead in the gravel

you tell staff and managers and they most they do is go and take out a few dead fish

I think they view the fish in a well we have 10 in today if 5 sell the rest are expendal attitude

Makes me very sad

If they did this to dogs there would be outrage

And from my point of view as we have just had a puppy into the house, my fish are far more inteligent !
stagmanv835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

Most chain petstores are pretty bad with fish. In the US - Petco and Petsmart are known to mistreat fish. One of them even got into legal trouble in california for selling sick pets (thin it was petsmart?).
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #8 
stagmanv835

The silly thing is our biggest pets at home stores are tiny compared to any of the USA pet stores i have visited , so looking after a much small quantiy of fish should be no problem
Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #9 
bettaisbetter

Mostly all local pet stores - Petco, Petsmart, Walmart, etc. take bad care of their fish. What's worse is that it will never end. :( Stupid fish farms and irresponsible breeders. If you're in the UK then I'm *sure* that you can sue them with limited evidence.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #10 
stagmanv835

Legal actions over here cost mega $