Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 
Rinali

Thread #462 on lighting - 20G

Sorry for yet another thread on the finer points of lighting for planted tanks. I have done almost a full week of research on this topic by way of various forums, webpages, etc. I have found MANY differing opinions, and I think all I've done is confuse myself worse than where I was at square one!

To break it down, I have a 20G tank (dimensions are 24" L x 12" W x 16" H). I'm looking to have a low-medium light tank. I know for a fact that the stock bulb (and possibly hood) will not work. I have found http://www.thatpetplace.com/freshwat...&category=2789 which seems to be a good choice according to some sources, and others say it's too much, while still others say it is too little.

I would like to call upon the knowledge of you fine folks :) Is the above fixture and bulbs okay for a low-medium light 20G tank? If so, should I replace the Colormax bulb for another 6500k? If not, what would you suggest?

Thank you SO much!
Rinali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Are you tech savvy in the slightest? I made a light hood with compact fluorescent bulbs for my 10 gallon heavily planted tank out of a rain gutter for less than $20 (not including bulbs, another $10 for two).

I would strongly recommend that if you do go with that hood replacing at least one of the bulbs with a 6500K bulb.

I don't know if you can have too much light. I don't have any algae problems in my 10 gallon with 26 watts, though it is quite heavily planted. Frogbit probably helps me though. It grows over the top like crazy.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #3 
Nothingness

T5 bulbs give off alot of light. That fixture will prob put you in the medium to med-high light spectrum if you set the fixture ontop of the tank. You would have to suspend that about 1-2 feet over the tank to disperse the light power.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote