Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Should I add a lamp/light over Bo's tank? He doesn't get much natural light...
Yes~! 6 75.00%
No! 1 12.50%
Maybe... I'll tell you why! 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #1 
Caii

Smile Bo's Update!

Hey everyone!

First and foremost, I'd like to extend the greatest virtual hugs and thank you's to everyone who helped me help Bo with in the first few days of rescuing him! Your help and guidance truly helped so much, and thankfully Bo's health and happiness has been helped so much as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Also, my apologies for having such a late update~ I just began my second semester of college, and I've been so busy!

Anyway, on to Bo!
As of last week, Bo now lives in a 2.5 gallon tank complete with thermometer, Aquean submersible heater with automatic shut-off so Bo can have 78 degree water all day every day(only $10 on Craigslist!!!), live Anubias Nana plant, new gravel, and a Japanese-style rock house for him to hide and play in!
All in total, it cost me about $32, but I was very happy to give Bo a little more space and the nicer things he deserves to be healthier and happier~ ^_^

My current water change schedule is 50% changes on Wednesdays and 100% on Saturdays. All water is tap water treated with water conditioner!

With your guidance and kind help, I was (hopefully!) able to help make Bo's life a little better <3
However, with a new environment and getting into a set routine, new questions arise!

1. I leave the TV on during the day so that Bo isn't staring at a wall while I'm gone: is this a good idea? How may I keep him entertained during the day?

2. How can I interact more with Bo in general? I talk to him every morning, feed him, and spend some time talking with him before bed, but I would like to interact more if possible.

3. Up until a couple of days ago, I hadn't noticed these (brown?) spots on Bo's lower fin. I'm unsure if it's anything to worry about, yet I'm still worried all the same! Are brown-ish spots on the fin worrisome? And if so, what can I do to fix the problem?

And finally, 4. What else can I do to ensure that Bo's properly taken care of?

Thank you so much for your input, advice, and kindness. Have a good day!

Sincerely,
Caii and Bo

P.S.- Attached are some requested pictures of Bo in his old container (with the car and colored gem-rocks) and his new home~ what do you think? ^^
I think Bo's a pretty good-looking guy! XD
Attached Images

Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

You can actually teach your Beta tricks! I was teaching Dovakiin how to touch a spoon for treats until I bought him his new tank. Now he's started posing for pictures too! Literally, he'll swim in place until I say "Good Dovakiin!" and then he'll turn around and strike another pose! He recognizes my camera now. I've only had him for three days now, but he already has such a personality! Search youtube videos. There are TONS of videos on how to teach your fishy tricks! There's even some purchasable fish stuff to go along with the tricks (fishy soccer, etc)!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Also, I'm sorry that I don't have info on the brown spots. I'm new to this as well! (:

P.S.- HE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #4 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
You can actually teach your Beta tricks! I was teaching Dovakiin how to touch a spoon for treats until I bought him his new tank. Now he's started posing for pictures too! Literally, he'll swim in place until I say "Good Dovakiin!" and then he'll turn around and strike another pose! He recognizes my camera now. I've only had him for three days now, but he already has such a personality! Search youtube videos. There are TONS of videos on how to teach your fishy tricks! There's even some purchasable fish stuff to go along with the tricks (fishy soccer, etc)!
Wow- that's amazing!

I know what you mean about personality; I've barely had Bo a week and he's so personable (though I do wish he'd pose for some pictures!) I'll definitely look up videos about training him, though- I never thought of that ^^
Fish soccer sounds like it'd be fun! XD

Also, don't worry about the brown spots- after looking at photos from before I changed his environment, I noticed that he's had those, haha ^^

Thank you very much; I think he's beautiful too! ^///^
All betta fish are beautiful, but I don't know... I think that's because when betta fish have love and have the care they deserve, their true colors can come out! <3

Dovakiin's a really interesting name- is there a meaning behind it? What kind of betta is he? ^^
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 
Fishybitty

I leave the TV on during the day so that Bo isn't staring at a wall while I'm gone: is this a good idea? How may I keep him entertained during the day? You could always buy the floating log for bettas. My guy loved his!

2. How can I interact more with Bo in general? I talk to him every morning, feed him, and spend some time talking with him before bed, but I would like to interact more if possible. I found this and it looks interesting http://www.amazon.com/R2-Fish-School...ords=fish+game I think on petco there is a video of it (im not saying spend a bunch of money, but I thought it was a cool idea :)
Fishybitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #6 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
I leave the TV on during the day so that Bo isn't staring at a wall while I'm gone: is this a good idea? How may I keep him entertained during the day? You could always buy the floating log for bettas. My guy loved his!

2. How can I interact more with Bo in general? I talk to him every morning, feed him, and spend some time talking with him before bed, but I would like to interact more if possible. I found this and it looks interesting http://www.amazon.com/R2-Fish-School...ords=fish+game I think on petco there is a video of it (im not saying spend a bunch of money, but I thought it was a cool idea :)
Floating log for bettas? What brand would you recommend?
Thank you for both ideas- they sound awesome! XD
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #7 
Melodica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Dovakiin's a really interesting name- is there a meaning behind it? What kind of betta is he? ^^
I believe that is from the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game. A "Dovahkiin" is a human born with the blood and soul of a dragon. They can absorb knowledge from a slain dragon and speak the dragon's language. One of my bettas is actually named Paarthurnax after one of the dragons in that game. He's a dragonscale betta, so I thought it fit!

Your Bo is so beautiful! I am so glad you had a kind heart and took that little guy from that awful situation. I wish there were more people in the world like you - it would be a much better place!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

you could make him a betta toy! just take two lengths of fishing line (it has to be semi-stiff so he won't get tangled, so a thick-gauge line) cut one long enough to stretch across the width of his tank and the other one about 2/3 the depth. tie the end of the short one in a secure knot, and slide 3-4 glass beads onto it. now tie the other end to the longer line, and stretch it across his tank and fasten it on both sides so the shorter end dangles in the water. the light should catch on the beads and give him something to use his hunting instincts on.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Wow- that's amazing!

I know what you mean about personality; I've barely had Bo a week and he's so personable (though I do wish he'd pose for some pictures!) I'll definitely look up videos about training him, though- I never thought of that ^^
Fish soccer sounds like it'd be fun! XD

Also, don't worry about the brown spots- after looking at photos from before I changed his environment, I noticed that he's had those, haha ^^

Thank you very much; I think he's beautiful too! ^///^
All betta fish are beautiful, but I don't know... I think that's because when betta fish have love and have the care they deserve, their true colors can come out! <3

Haha, yea! They also have fishy basketball and some mini versions of doggie agility courses. Haha! I'm seriously contemplating buying it!

I agree! Their colors really do shine through! I think that the pun should be intended. :P

Oh goodness, here comes my nerdiness shining through. There is a rpg (role-play game) called Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (for console gaming). In this game, you play as whatever race you choose, and as part of the main story line, you end up finding out that you are the Dovakiin. In the game, Dovakiin is actually part of the language of the Dova, or dragons. Dovakiin means Dragonborn in this language. ^////^
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I believe that is from the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game. A "Dovahkiin" is a human born with the blood and soul of a dragon. They can absorb knowledge from a slain dragon and speak the dragon's language. One of my bettas is actually named Paarthurnax after one of the dragons in that game. He's a dragonscale betta, so I thought it fit!

Your Bo is so beautiful! I am so glad you had a kind heart and took that little guy from that awful situation. I wish there were more people in the world like you - it would be a much better place!

LOL I wish I would've read this first before writing all of what I wrote. xD My boyfriend tried to get me to name my betta Paarthurnax, but I said that I wanted Dovakiin. :P

Tags
advice, bo the betta, caii, care, rescued