Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #1 
Asteig86

Taking the plunge...

Okay, so I'm thinking I'm going to give live plants a try. Figured I would experiment in my 10 gallon community before planting the others.

The tank is in my living room. There are 4 picture glass windows, so the indirect sunlight is pretty abundant. I have the 'stock hood' with LEDs on there currently.

Here are the plants I'm thinking of ordering...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...802&pcatid=802

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...780&pcatid=780

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...824&pcatid=824

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...800&pcatid=800

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...17&pcatid=1617

Do these look alright for the kind of lighting I have to offer?
How would I go about planting/taking care of them? Are ferts needed? I'm such a noob to this, any help is appreciated!
Asteig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

The amazon sword (and any sword) will require much, much more light than what you've got. The indirect window light probably won't reach deep enough into your tank, but will definitely encourage algae growth. :P

Everything else will be okay except possibly the myrio...that may also need more light.

Amazon swords get BIG, like REALLY TALL, and they cannot live out of the water, so a smaller/bushier sword plant might be a better option. Plus, I've read varying things on their ease of care, basically some people have said that they need so much iron that they almost cannot be supported in some setups.

I love wisteria and myrio though, the wisteria will probably arrive with the "potted" look, but will branch out into the "submerged" leaf pattern with all new growth which is so much prettier. :)

IF you decide to change your lights, the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to get a 15$ versa top in place of the hood, and then either clip on a desk lamp or use a desk lamp with a swinging arm to go overtop of the tank. Then you'll need to get "daylight" curly homestore CFL bulbs in the 20 watt (75 watt equivalent)/6500K range. This will allow you to easily grow whatever you want in terms of light requirements. :)

Here's a picture of what that setup can look like on a 40g (you could probably just get one lamp for a 10g):
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

Oh, sorry, missed the last half of your post.

The amazon sword will need root tabs and flourish excel, but the excel can burn other plants if dosed every day...so that one is a toss-up.

The other plants will do great with just some plain flourish dosed as prescribed on the bottle (once a week I think?...I can't remember...)

You can just plant them directly into the gravel, just make sure it's small diameter (this will make your life easier), and that there's a good inch and a half to two inches of gravel to work with. Again, this just makes your life easier because the deeper you can stick those stems in, the more likely they are to STAY in the gravel, lol! It's really annoying to get everything set up and then come back the next day and realize that everything has become a floater. ;)
Old 04-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #4 
Asteig86

Okay, so the sword is out. Good to know! Thanks. Any moss that handles low light well? I think I have plenty of gravel...though I may switch that particular tank to sand in the future. Undecided on that as of yet. I just really want to try a few live plants...I really don't like the look of my silk ones, even if they are high quality.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Java moss is a perennial favorite. It's supposed to be low light, but the moss that I've had has always needed a bit more to keep from going brown. :P I'm not sure why...but the traditional understanding is that it's some low-light stuff.

If it was me, I'd buy a portion from somewhere, and just see how it does. :) That's generally what I've done with plants, some things will grow in your water, others won't, some will need more light, some will be okay...some will require dirt, others are okay in gravel...Some of information you can get from reading up and asking questions, but other things really are just trial and error. :)

Live plants really are wonderful, and they make tank-keeping SO much easier! Much fewer water changes, if you plant heavily enough you don't need a filter...ahhh, it's just awesome. :)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #6 
Asteig86

Thank you, Blue Fish. You rock so much. :) I will order some on Wednesday and see how they do. I'll be sure to update
Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #7 
amphirion

most likely if you go the LED route, you will need to change out the stock LEDs and replace them with ones that are specifically geared for growing aquatic plants. you might be able to get away with stock LEDs if you choose low maintenance plants. otherwise, the fluorescent lamp might be the way to go as bulbs for those are much more accessible than LEDs.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

Looking forward to your pictures! :D
Old 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #9 
Ghostie

java fern is unkillable in my experience. and it doesn't require much light, you can actually kill it with too much light and that seems to be the only way it kill it.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote