Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #1 
MediBedi

Exclamation Help! Betta injury!

I'm still new to the forums and need some help..

ok.. Here’s the story..
I have a 29 gallon long tank with lots of hiding places and live plants with two female bettas. There is also some ghost shrimp, a loach, two small pleco's and a catfish. They've gotten along for a while then a day and a half ago I come and take a look at them, one is all beaten up.. Guess one decided to take control... Any who the red one who got beat up is looking really bad but is hanging in there. She wasn't really moving much when I first noticed it and removed her.. wasn't moving her eyes around to take a look around (normally she’s all over the tank trying to get my attention and watching me) and a day later she seems to have a little more energy and watches my finger when I go to check on her but she still looks really bad. She’s also developed an infection I'm not sure what type of an infection it is but it’s growing from the open wound. It kinda looks like small clearish/white strings pointing outward. Her scales are also standing up near the wound along with a yellowish tint to her scales..

I gave her a salt bath for about 2mins but I need to get some meds for her I just don't know what’s going on at this point.. Also need to figure out what kind of medications will help her pull through this!
She's been moved to a small bowl with some live plants to help her relax on so she doesn't have to make much of an effort trying to get air. Water temp is 80 and I do water changes for her once a day to keep it clean. So far it's been 1 1/2 days since I've taken her out of the main tank.. I've tried to feed her frozen BS and pellets but nothing. Shes not under weight, infact both her and the other female are chunky and really good eaters but now she wont touch anything atm.. not sure if I should wait til she's moving around or just offer her it if she takes it she takes it if not remove it. At this point shes mainly just resting on a live plant all day not moving just watching what goes on and taking breaths here and there.

Any help would be GREALY appreciated

I'm not new to bettas, I've just never had this happen before.
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Keep offering her foods, and remove if not eaten. I'd use stress coat, along with making sure you have medications for bacterial and fungal just in case.

Also, you absolutely need 4+ females, to avoid this mess. Too late to say so now, but just for further reference - to save your fish, and the anguish you go through :)

The yellow tint to the scales, is decay. Dead. the scales may fall off and will have to regrow if they can. The infection is probably fungal, please attach a picture. There is also slime coat which looks similar, and is the body's defence to fight off infections. Aquarium salt PRE DISSOLVED can be used 7-14 days, cleaning the water every single day. Some live plants won't survive with the salt. 1-3 teaspoons per gallon gradually adding over a period of time.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #3 
MediBedi

Unhappy

Sadly she passed away early this morning.. Guess lesson learned.

May she rest in peace..
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I'm sorry to hear that. You tried for her - which is good :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote